Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When to start w/Estrus bleat

Old 10-28-2002, 02:08 AM

Default When to start w/Estrus bleat

I had a deer come to my light calling and rattling yesterday. It hung up in the thick hemlocks above me , I heard it grunt once.
Should I have used the new Estrus Bleat after I heard the deer ? Move my stand 50-75 yards closer to the thick hemlocks or stay put and use the bleat.
Here in NH the weather has cooled alot as the rut approaches.
Roman
Old 10-28-2002, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When to start w/Estrus bleat

I just started my estrous can bleat this past wknd here in NY. I had a small 4pt coming in. I grunted at him he stopped, but wouldn't turn. I went to my bleat can, and he came right in. I let him go though, figure let him grow. I only use my bleat can in this situation to turn deer my way I can see. Later in the season if I'm not seeing much I may blind call with it, figure got nothing to loose at that point. I'm considering using estrous scent this coming wknd also. The bucks are looking, so might be good timing. Been using strictly buck urine & tarsal thus far.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:18 AM

Use the bleet call man. My buddy called on his when heard deer up on the ridge the next thing he knew he had a six ponter ten yards away from him. I have heard alot of other succes stories with those cans too.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most deer breed between October and December. Use this call whenever you wish. You never know when a doe will be in heat, and neither do the bucks.

Old 10-28-2002, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Rangeball has it right. However, there is no "scientific" evidence that does make an estrus-doe-bleat when they are in heat. And this has been thoroughly researched.

The call being referred to as an estrus-bleat is similar to the Social Contact Grunt described by Marchinton, which is louder and longer than most other grunts. I'm not saying this call won't work. And this is a good case showing that it will, but not for the reason stated.

When bucks are looking for does, they will respond to anything that might lead them to a doe, whether she is in estrus or not, he won't know until he can "check" her.

I'm not going to discuss this one. I just thought I'd throw it out there. Do what you want with it.

Do you know why bucks act so "stupid" during pead breeding?

If you guys only got it for 2-3 months every year, you'd act stupid and go for all you could get too!!! And don't tell me otherwise.

Join us on "T.R's Tips, Patterning"

T.R.

T.R. Michels
Old 10-28-2002, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

TR, what about the penned doe video Jerry Peterson has showing the doe making these bleats, and the breeding bellow, only while she was in estrous?

Old 10-28-2002, 11:59 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> If you guys only got it for 2-3 months every year, you'd act stupid and go for all you could get too!!! And don't tell me otherwise.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

What do you mean if?

Old 10-28-2002, 03:19 PM

Thanks everyone !

I'll use that can , man !