Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let the Games begin.....

Old 04-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Let the Games begin.....

So for therapy I force myself to try and go to bed at a reasonable time, 11 -12 just like I always have. I've started to sleep again the past few nights so I make myself get up everyday. I also force myself to do something productive everyday, whether it's doing paper work that needs doing, cleaning around the house, hauling stuff to the dump etc. I also make myself do something JUST FOR ME everyday. A few days it was a trip to the driving range, yesterday golf, one day hunting with Len and his kid on youth hunt... you get the idea.

A couple days I went to Lens shop and we played with arrows. We experimented with fletchings, different nocks, point inserts, half outs etc etc. You get the idea. We spent quite a bit of time just playing and ruining things.[8D] Not really, but when you take a dozen Full Metal Jackets and modify them just to see what happens, well it is costly. Anyway, those arrows do fly great and the way we modified them would really make a heck of an arrow. They are a heck of an arrow after we finished. It took a lot of time to turn the half inserts to the right tolerances and things. No way would people be willing to pay for the time involved and you can't buy the size needed. Anyway, I guess Len will be using them. When the playing was all said and done I went back to the ICS hunters with the ACC point inserts and G nocks. The one thing I did change was I went from feathers to the 4 inch Quick Spins. It gives me another 25 grains of arrow weight(up to 450)and they fly great. I just got tire of waterproofing feathers. Some on here had said the quick spins weren't to durable. 3 of the arrows we made up the other day some guy had played with in Lens shop. He was getting terrible fletching contact with his rest and the short 4 fletch.(no problem with contact with the Muzzy) Anyway, he had really buggered the quick spins up. We heated them up with a heat gun and they were as good as new. You couldn't tell they had ever been rippled. I shot them several times through the Muzzy and they still looked like new.

While there I mentioned to Len my bow had gotten a little noisier since going to the Spot Hogg. He said he noticed I had a vibration. He got out his physicians knee smacking rubber mallet and beat my bow until he found the source. THe elevation screw on the Spot Hogg is a screw set in a nut with locktite. It had play in the screw and nut connection. It couldn't be tightened by hand. He felt it could be heated and possibly fixed. Before ruining my sight he called Spot Hogg. They said he cure might work and if it ruined the sight they'd take care of it. Go ahead and try. 5 minutes later my problem was solved.

They only other problem is these old muscles. Playing care giver for the past 12 months didn't allow much time for hunting, shooting or practicing. A few dozen arrows and I was beat. With the new arrows I had just the slightest of off tear in paper. Old eagle eye Len said you're doing this wrong, your torguing here, pushing there, snapping the trigger blah blah blah blah. OK, a quick lesson and back to basics and he had me shooting bullet holes, holding on the spot better and shooting X's everytime. Funny how you get out of sync.

SO, my preparation for the upcoming "Hunt-a-thon" across the country has begun. I figure I'll have them make me up another dozen arrows and I'll be good for 5 or 6 states. I should get 16-20 arrows from two dozen that qualify for hunter status. The rest I'll practice with. At 20 yards my skill level isn't good enough to shoot any different from my present 425 feathered ICSs.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:03 PM

Default RE: Let the Games begin.....

That sounds like a fun day to me!! You're right, it amazing how out of sync you can get from not shooting even in a week or two. That's one of the things I enjoy doing, as well. Go to the shop and just start messing with stuff. Shoot, that's how I learn.

If you're headed to MO, give me a shout. I've got a good hunk of public land that holds lots of does and good bucks. Didn't see but a couple of bucks there last year, but I saw more than 30 doe in the few days I hunted.

I'm glad you're getting out and doing things. Keeps you in the right frame of mind.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

I personally am a tinkerer i like to shoot and change things to see if i cn fins something better inthe way of arrow flight and accuracy. But after all of the playing the practice makes perfect....
Old 04-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, I'm glad your getting back to what you love. Nothing can replace what you lost, but filling your time now with what you love to do is as good as it gets. It sounds like you have the correct mindset and I hope you succeed. Good luck in your tinkering and on your hunts, you deserve it!
Old 04-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Dominant Buck

It sounds like you have the correct mindset and I hope you succeed.
Lots of closes friends calling to check up on me and spurring me on. My son calls and ask, you planning your fishing trip. He called the other day to make sure I was alright. I was at Lens playing with arrows. He said Great. Say hi to Len. Bye. I can't hang around this house. Everyday I clean up something in prep for selling it. Hauled a big load to the dump today.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Busy man you are.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

David it sounds like you're handling things pretty well. Hang in there brother and try not to kill everything. [8D]
Old 04-21-2006, 07:07 AM

You seem like your doing pretty well, keep at it man!! Stay in touch and let us know when you lay the smack down on some critters!! take care....
Old 04-21-2006, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

THe elevation screw on the Spot Hogg is a screw set in a nut with locktite.

Dave, you're talking here about the 'phillips screw and the grooved nylon nut' used for elevationadjustment.Am I correct? I've got the same problem with mine.
You can actually turn the phillips screws (mentioned above)even when the largerhex screw is tightened.
Did you guys heat the groovednylon nut and snug it up--was that it?
I would like to get mine fixed too--but like you mentioned, I would hate to bugger up the sight.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know what you mean David. I'm trying to stay busy myself. Weekends seem to be the hardest. Turkey hunting by myself hasn't been such a good idea. Too much time to think. I'm trying it with a friend this weekend. Hope you havea successful year full of good times.

Quick Reply: Let the Games begin.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.