Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need some help

Old 04-17-2006, 07:43 PM

Default Need some help

Well, my phone rang the other night and the news on the other end was about as good as it gets. My parents have decided that Florida is not the place for them......they just miss the family too much. They are moving home to NY and I couldn't be happier.

My favorite hunting partner..........is coming home

We have always gun hunted together since I was old enough to go. We have never bow hunted together. He gave it up long ago (right when compounds first came out) and never got back into it. Talking to him on the phone I can tell he is all fired up to get in the woods this year........and he plans on doing it with a bow as well

Here is where I need your help.

My dad is 58.........not old.......but he has some miles on him. He worked in the steel mills his whole life and it broke his body down. Neck, shoulder, and wrist surgeries couldn't bring him back to par and he was forced into early retirement on a disability pension. He is considered 100% disabled by govt working standards but it's not like he is in a wheelchair. He just can't do things for very long without getting really inflamed and he takes meds every day for nerve pain and that kinda stuff.

Anyways...........what are my best options to get him shooting a bow that won't kill his neck and shoulder but will still drop a deer? I am talking about poundage and a VERY easy drawing bow. Money is no object (within reason) so all options are welcome.

He doesn't want to shoot a crossbow but he will have to if he can't draw a bow........I will cross that bridge when we get to it.

How about tree stands? What is the lightest stand that I can still feel good about him being safe in going up and down a tree. This is my primary concern. I don't know if he can walk far with a 17-18lb stand on his back but I would like him to have a rail to sit and climb with. I love my Goliath but I'm not sure he could walk far with it. I plan to set up a few ladder stands for him on some private land I can hunt so there is always that......but we hunt on state land (he LOVES it).......so a climber is almost a MUST have. I may just have to walk him to his tree and get him in place before heading out myself.

I am so excited I can't even think straight. I am sure I am forgetting 100 things I am gonna have to get done to get him in the woods this fall but this is a good start.

If anyone has experience themselves with an injury or disability of some kind.......or has a dad like mine who can still get it done........just not as fast or strong as he used to be........please offer any advice you can.

Thanks in advance.

Atlas
Old 04-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need some help

That's great to hear Atlas!

Well I suppose..one item at a time. he, he For a bow...I think the age old slogan would have to go with this situation as well. If time permitting, go with your dad and shoot some bows and see what he likes. I would imagine something with a 50-60lb draw weight, would be great for him. I'm not the best one to comment on exactly which bow, but so many of the new bows draw sooo nice and easy that it should take long finding him one that fits his parameters.

For a stand...I was going to suggest ladder stands, but if your goal is to hunt public land and weight is the #1 issue then can you say Lone Wolf? With $$ not being so much of a big factor, I'm not sure there's a better route to go with that one.

Good Luck!!
Old 04-17-2006, 08:10 PM

I would have him try a new Browning Illusion. Its super smooth w/ no giant let off. Soit wont slam him shoulder when at the let off.do too the trance cam. also hasa short axel to axel 32" .so it would help him manuver it. Also under 4 lbs so its light weight. And you dont lose speed. Its a fast bow. I got mine set up w/ a trophy taker rest. set at 62lbs. at 28" draw length w/ 304 grn arrow and getting almost 280 fps.
Plus when you but a 2006 model you get a dozen Carbon Force Radial X Weave Pro's. w/ +-.001 straightness. Good luck w/ setting your dad up.
If the Browning doesnt work for him try a Martin w/ nitrous cams.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:41 PM

Man, that is some of the coolest news I've heard in a while!! I can tell the excitement you have by your writing!!

Bows? Well, I truely believe most new bows on the market are all pretty comparible to smooth draw. I am partial to my Hoyt, but most others are good. I would say get one with 80% let off and low poundage, like a 50# model. If he can handle it, go 60, but anything 45-50 will certainly kill a deer and turkey.

Treestands, well.....that's another matter. There are just so damn many to choose from. Timbertall makes a climber that's only 12 pounds. But most fixed stands are even lighter.

Start him off slow, obviously. Low poundage and don't overdue it. Let the body dictate the pace. And for God sake......HAVE FUN OUT THERE!!!!!
Old 04-17-2006, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats cool Atlas I think I would build him some natural blinds or maybe even a pop up or two. Why risk him climbing a tree? A 50 lb. bow would be plenty to drop any deer from 25 yds in. I'm partial to Mathews but you know there are lots of great bows on the market. Have fun with your dad.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Xtec Shooter

Well I suppose..one item at a time. he, he For a bow...I think the age old slogan would have to go with this situation as well. If time permitting, go with your dad and shoot some bows and see what he likes. I would imagine something with a 50-60lb draw weight, would be great for him. I'm not the best one to comment on exactly which bow, but so many of the new bows draw sooo nice and easy that it should take long finding him one that fits his parameters.
I agree that most new line bows are not "hard" to draw........just wondering if anyone is specially made for a super easy draw (rounder cams=easier right?) Alpine is pretty smooth from what I hear but I never shot one.

Of course my dad is a lefty so shooting bows is gonna SUCK because most shops supply of lefties is limited or none.

If he can pull 60 lbs I will be shocked........and thrilled. I highly doubt it though. My hopes when I first heard were 50lbs MAX. He just can't handle rough upper body movements.......and when he goes south it is usually with a "stinger".......followed by days of agony. None of us want that. I am interested in how much he can pull.

For a stand...I was going to suggest ladder stands, but if your goal is to hunt public land and weight is the #1 issue then can you say Lone Wolf? With $$ not being so much of a big factor, I'm not sure there's a better route to go with that one.

Good Luck!!
Does Lone Wolf have a front rail? I know they are light as a feather but I thought they were just a butt pad and you had to use a lot of forearms to climb. I want him to be able to sit for stability and if he has to rest......and most of all safety.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:03 PM

ORIGINAL: djkiller

I would have him try a new Browning Illusion. Its super smooth w/ no giant let off. Soit wont slam him shoulder when at the let off.do too the trance cam. also hasa short axel to axel 32" .so it would help him manuver it. Also under 4 lbs so its light weight. And you dont lose speed. Its a fast bow. I got mine set up w/ a trophy taker rest. set at 62lbs. at 28" draw length w/ 304 grn arrow and getting almost 280 fps.
Plus when you but a 2006 model you get a dozen Carbon Force Radial X Weave Pro's. w/ +-.001 straightness. Good luck w/ setting your dad up.
If the Browning doesnt work for him try a Martin w/ nitrous cams.

Very cool.........thanks for the info.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:09 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Man, that is some of the coolest news I've heard in a while!! I can tell the excitement you have by your writing!!
You have no idea.......I can't even think straight because all day long I just try to figure out how I am gonna get my dad fixed up and shooting in plenty of time to be reliably accurate........and safe. Then I just think how much fun it's gonna be to have my parents around again, and spend a few hours in the sun shooting arrows with my dad and brothers in my yard while our wives hang out on my deck and all the kids splash half the water out of my pool.

Life suddenly got a whole lot better for me

Bows? Well, I truely believe most new bows on the market are all pretty comparible to smooth draw. I am partial to my Hoyt, but most others are good. I would say get one with 80% let off and low poundage, like a 50# model. If he can handle it, go 60, but anything 45-50 will certainly kill a deer and turkey.
Exactly what I was thinking.........45-50lbs would be nice......anything above that would be a bonus.

Treestands, well.....that's another matter. There are just so damn many to choose from. Timbertall makes a climber that's only 12 pounds. But most fixed stands are even lighter.
I will check out Timbertall.........never heard of them.

And for God sake......HAVE FUN OUT THERE!!!!!
That is the one thing I don't have to worry about
Old 04-17-2006, 11:12 PM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Thats cool Atlas I think I would build him some natural blinds or maybe even a pop up or two. Why risk him climbing a tree? A 50 lb. bow would be plenty to drop any deer from 25 yds in. I'm partial to Mathews but you know there are lots of great bows on the market. Have fun with your dad.
Blinds are an option for sure........I would like to get him off the ground......and more importantly HE wants to get up in the trees for a change.

Mathews draw is pretty darn smooth.

This is going to be FUN.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alt I think you should take him to a Pro shop and let them guys work with him as far as a bow goes if he is having trouble with somthing they are the ones that can make adjustments and get him going on the straight and narrow.
As far as a stand goes I would definetly suggest a fixed position stand and a good ladder it is a lot less work to climb in and out of and you can help him put it up before the hunt it only takes a few min. to put up and there the most stable.
Good luck I hope everything works out. I think you are a very good son for trying to take care of your dad like you are. I'm 52 right now and god forbid my health goes soulth I hope my boys treat me as well. Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.