Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need some help

Old 04-18-2006, 08:17 PM

Default RE: Need some help

ORIGINAL: Rick James

That's awesome that you get to hunt w/ your dad again. My dad is also my favorite partner as well and there was a 8 year time period where I was not able to hunt w/ him due to distance. Where in NY do you guys live?

If he has problems w/getting the bow back, and wants to learn more about alternative means and equipment specifically designed to help with these types of physical limitations, my main shooting partner is VERY involved w/ PCBA (physically challenged bowhunters of america) andhas a TON of experiencegetting guys setup w/ equipment that allows them to shoot with physical limitations. He is a one armed archer as well w/ 2x NETAA world titles under his belt, so he speaks from experience. I am sure he would help in any way if you guys need it, his screen name is Jaws on here, but he doesn't visit often.
Wow.........VERY cool. Thanks a bunch. Is this organization one that deals with guys like my dad or are they for serious handicaps like lost limbs or total paralysis??
Old 04-18-2006, 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: BowTechSlinger

No great ideas on equipment but I wanted to congratulate you on that wonderful news and the fact that your dad is your best friend. My dad was always my closest friend and confidante. He won't be coming home but someday I will and I know he'll be waiting. Enjoy every second you get to spend with him.
Thanks man...........I will.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: tsoc

I havn't read all the posts so I don't know if these things havebeen covered.As far as smooth drawing bows are concerned I have heard a number of people comment about one of the bowtechs and one of the matthews feeling like it draws ten pounds lighter than it actually is,a bow with larger round wheels will draw much more smoothly and there should be no reason that a 40 to 45 pound draw weight shouldn't be sufficient.The use of a heavier arrow will pump up the kinetic energy.
A possible solution to your dad lugging a climber is strap on tree steps and a light fixed position stand with a large platform,I would suggest that he belts himself all the way up and down never not being connected.
I think that it is great that your folks will be around and you will have the opportunity to hunt with your dad again! That is what it is all about!

Any idea which bowtech feels lighter?.......I didn't think they made a shorter ATA bow with rounder wheels.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:31 PM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Sorry I can't comment on equipment but I just wanted to say how nice it must be to have your Dad around to hunt with again. My dad is about the sameage and just about completely lost all desire to hunt.
There have been days when my dad couldn't answer the bell and stayed home because he was too sore/tired. He can't go full days in the freezing cold anymore and he was ALWAYS the last guy back at the truck........now he is usually the first. Things change........it sucks but that's life.

He was going to go fishing more....that's cool. Still at least had my fishing partner. Now heading into this summer he's seemed to have lost that drive too. So congrats again on being reunited with your dad/hunting partner/friend, enjoy your time afield with him.
We all like to go fishing as well and you can bet we will be doing more of that as well. I have been messing with the idea of getting a boat for a few years and now it is a no brainer. We will be pulling trout and salmon on a regular basis now.

We have also been waiting for our one brother to get ahead of the game financially so we could all chip in on a cabin with a bunch of land. This will make things easier on dad because he will have a 4 wheeler so he doesn't have to walk or drag and he can just go back to a warm cabin if he wants instead of sitting in the truck if he gets cold.

I don't see my dad ever losing his desire to hunt.........I believe some day he will just not be able to answer the call physically and that will be the end.........either way I just want to enjoy every second of it. Even when he hangs 'em up he will still be at camp......he'll just be the chef Every camp has one guy like that anyways
Old 04-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Atlasman,
In my recent hunt for a new bow this year I had the oppurtunity to try most of the top bows. Knowing what I do now if your Dad needs an easy drawing bow my advice would be a Mathews Switchback. Probably a 50lb max version. If its a deer only bow you can set that up with the proper arrows and it will kill every well hit deer easy. I just found the Switchback was a total creampuff to draw and shoot just not the fastest around which is why I passed on it.
I envy your good fortune having your Dad as a hunting buddy. Mine liked cigars more than hunting and it killed him 18 months after he retired. Have fun with the old guy!!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2006, 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: jag-mag

Bow ,Diamond justice with smooth pulling freedom cam.
Treestand, lone wolf sit and climb.

My first tought on stands was a Lone Wolf.........wasn't sure if they had a sit and climb model though. THANKS. Plenty of Diamond bows around here to shoot too.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: atlasman

That's awesome that you get to hunt w/ your dad again. My dad is also my favorite partner as well and there was a 8 year time period where I was not able to hunt w/ him due to distance. Where in NY do you guys live?

If he has problems w/getting the bow back, and wants to learn more about alternative means and equipment specifically designed to help with these types of physical limitations, my main shooting partner is VERY involved w/ PCBA (physically challenged bowhunters of america) andhas a TON of experiencegetting guys setup w/ equipment that allows them to shoot with physical limitations. He is a one armed archer as well w/ 2x NETAA world titles under his belt, so he speaks from experience. I am sure he would help in any way if you guys need it, his screen name is Jaws on here, but he doesn't visit often.
Wow.........VERY cool. Thanks a bunch. Is this organization one that deals with guys like my dad or are they for serious handicaps like lost limbs or total paralysis??
They will help anyone that has a desire to bowhunt and are physically unable to otherwise. Seriously keep this in mind if it will keep him in the woods, I know Jaws will bend over backwards to make this happen. I can put you in touch with him if need be.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: TerryM

Atlasman,
In my recent hunt for a new bow this year I had the oppurtunity to try most of the top bows. Knowing what I do now if your Dad needs an easy drawing bow my advice would be a Mathews Switchback. Probably a 50lb max version. If its a deer only bow you can set that up with the proper arrows and it will kill every well hit deer easy. I just found the Switchback was a total creampuff to draw and shoot just not the fastest around which is why I passed on it.
I envy your good fortune having your Dad as a hunting buddy. Mine liked cigars more than hunting and it killed him 18 months after he retired. Have fun with the old guy!!!!!!!
The switchback is definately a smooth draw........a bow I will have him try without a doubt.

Sorry to hear about your dad. You just never know when it will be gone.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:49 PM

ORIGINAL: atlasman

They will help anyone that has a desire to bowhunt and are physically unable to otherwise. Seriously keep this in mind if it will keep him in the woods, I know Jaws will bend over backwards to make this happen. I can put you in touch with him if need be.
That is great to hear.........and I am sincerely thankful for your help should we need it. I don't consider my dad disabled or handicapped........just a little busted up........having said that though I am not sure he can draw a bow. One thing for sure is he loves hunting so I know he will be open to anything that puts him in a stand.

Thanks again.

I will be sure to post what happens with my dad once he gets back in town.......and if need be I will surely take any help you can offer.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:51 PM

Not to get off track Rick but I see in your avatar that you are shooting with a thumb trigger release. I have thought of going that route this year because I like the idea of anchoring my knuckles behind my jaw like that.

Is that thing a back tension release or is it a thumb trigger??

How do you like it compared to the traditional index trigger?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.