Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fallen Out

Old 04-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default Fallen Out

Two yrs ago I was in my hang on stand for a evening hunt.I put my stand
in a aspen type tree, soft type of wood [dumb] any way it started to
rain and here in WI it rains a few min and its done sometimes, so I was going to sit it out but it started to rain really hard[ no rain gear on] and the wind was really whipping me around in my tree, I realized that It wasnt going to stop and knew I had to get out of the tree. I let my bow down threw my pack down out of the tree and undid my saftey harnnes,
stepped on to the first step and was going to the second step and instead of grabbing the tree I grabbed a 1" branch because it was raining so hardthe rain would run down the front of my shirt when I grabbed the tree, anyway the branch snapped and as I fell to the ground I managed
spin around and land on all fours. When I landed my forehead hit a log,I was knocked silly but not out, I tried to stand but my right foot hurt like
hell, so I layed there in the pouring rain for about 5 min, I finally managed
to get to my feet, grabbed my stuff and slowly limbed across the plowed field to my truck. The next day I went to the doctor and he told me I jambed my toes straight into my foot. I missed 3 days of work with a badly bruised foot and a goose egg on the forhead all because I was
in a hurry.Have you ever fell out or come close? sorry about the spelling and the punctuation.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fallen Out

i havent, but im glad your ok
Old 04-17-2006, 05:00 PM

Yeah, I've come close. Your story is why I am such a firm believer in the climbing system, not just a harness. You never have to unhook from the tree climbing up or down.

I was in my Summit climber last fall. Harness on, always. Anyway, I shot 2 deer in a matter of 30 seconds. In my exitement, I leaned on the side of the seat and tilted it. Now, if any of you know about climbers you know this is bad. Never tilt the thing, it will go down. I lost my balance and fell right over the side. Had I not had my harness on, I woulda been in big trouble. I was 25-30 feet up. Very bad. But I had my harness on and was able to make a loop and climb back into the stand. Scared the you know what out of me.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

mo that scared me just reading it glad both of you are alright though
Old 04-18-2006, 02:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep,years ago
Old 04-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I fell twice luckly with no complications just scratches and sore.
Once I used a pine tree which would have been fine but because of thives I would take my screw steps out of the tree each time I left. Well that made the holes for the steps week and when I was climing down one pulled out luckly the belt on the pants caught the nest step scraped me up real good (luckly it didn't open me up all the way to the guts. But I was alright.
Next time I was hunting in Nantucket Island in one of those scrubb oak trees while climbing down I grabbed a branch and thats the last thing I remember before all the stars. Again I was fine just sore.
I really wish some would make a practial safety device for when climbing in and out of your stand as this seems like when most people fall. Mike
Old 04-18-2006, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope not yet and I hope I never do.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Spike

haven't really every fallen out, but i have jumped out of one, it was in early september and we had a tripod (one that was open all around and featured a gun rest attached to the seat)set up along a creek adjacent to arecent clear cut and well one evening i decided to climb on up (14 ft.-so not too high) and well i was sitting on the seat and felt a sharp pain in my leg and looked down and saw about 6 wasps flying around and realized that i was sitting above awasp nest and i must have kicked 'em and got 'em ticked and well not thinking i jumped off the side into the creek, which was only about 2 feet deep, (i realize this is not a normal reaction but when you are allergic to those things you tend take whatever route is the quickest) i sunk about a foot into the mud, but actually was came away unscathed (i was also only 17 at the time, so that definitely helped out) minus a sting or two on my leg, and learned a valuable lesson to always do some stand maintenance, including evicting summer tenants prior to hunting season
Old 04-18-2006, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

knock on wood...nope
Old 04-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Ive been told I fell out of the ugly tree.

Quick Reply: Fallen Out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.