Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Am I too picky or are all bowhunters this way?

Old 04-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Default Am I too picky or are all bowhunters this way?

Examples:
(1)neither my nearest two pro shops or a Gander Mtn. don't carry 17/64" field points. I need them for my A/C Slims, gave mine to my son for his Axis. The GM store and one shop carries Axis shafts but not the correct size field points.

(2)None of the 3 are currently carrying the RM Turbo broadheads or blades......thats what I shot last year but used a gift certificate to buy them from an online store.

(3)I wanted a Schaffer rest, got lucky and found a new one on Ebay.

(4)I wanted the A/C Slim shafts, nobody around carries them in stock, but I eventually found new uncut shafts, although not locally.

(5)I wanted a Viper sight, had to order it because nobody carries them in my area yet.

What I am getting at is............are you as picky with equipment or do you buy what is in stock? Me, I know what I want beforehand and sometimes I want what is not as popular in my area, but many times have to order it. No blame at all to any shops, there is no way they can carry everything without going bankrupt.

Old 04-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Am I too picky or are all bowhunters this way?

No I think once you (any hunter)have decided on equipment that enhances your style of hunting that is what you want and are willing to pay for. Most of the sporting good stores are still looking to and it is necessary to feed that bottom line, so they supply to the masses. I in most cases very rarely ask for help when shopping in most sporting goods store and when I do I am usually standing in front of one of the tech type counters (gunsmith/archery). I have been in many of these stores and actually helped other shoppers make choices based on field related experiences. Sometimes it pays to be picky, sometimes it saves a lot of work and heartache listening to others. Thats one of the main reasons I like this forum. Somehow , somewhere, someone has done it before.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Most archery shops don't carry the things I am looking for. I have to buy most of what I want on line. I think archery shops only stock items they can sell fast. I guess, I can see their reasoning, inventory costs a lot of money just to keep around.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:33 AM

I think attention to details is what makes us bowhunters. I don't know of any of us that "settle" for something we didn't really want. Bowhunters are finicky that way. If what I want isn't in stock for whatever reason, we'll order it and I'll wait. Because if I get something else, it won't be long and it's gone for what I wanted in the first place. I may as well save some cash and get it right the first time.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I get what I want, not what is easiest to find.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Coug, you're not alone. I'm just like you.

I have found, however, that my local shop can order in just about anything I want, and sell it to me for suggested retail price -- and NOT charge any extra shipping costs. When I have the chance, I prefer to do that, since it helps support our local shop and I still get what I want.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

I really could care less about my equipment....as long as the arrow flies straight consistently. Been shooting the same set up for years and years and have never lost a deer due to the equipments fault. For me it is doing all I can to understand the deer that I hunt and getting arms length away from them as often as possible.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would have to say i am the same way. when i felt the martin that is what i wanted and my dad had even offered to give me his browning bt i said no and i waited until i found a good deal online
Old 04-16-2006, 01:51 PM

Im that picky. I know some people who arent and it drives me up the wall.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am that picky as well. I really prefer to buy in person, but I am not going to shoot inferior equipment to do so. Unfortunately, most everything I buy now is online except for items like releases, etc that must be test driven before being shot, but when I can find a dealer that carries what I want in stock I usually pay more $$$ to buy from them.

Quick Reply: Am I too picky or are all bowhunters this way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.