Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rocky boots

Old 10-27-2002, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rocky boots

Sooner, get a life!

Dave,

Glad they work for ya, but after 4 failures, I wont go back, not to mention the crappy customer service, no thanks. The 4th, the tounge impedes getting your dang foot in,and thats with the correct fitting sized boot not one oversized just so I can get my foot in, otherwise the boot fits fine. And no going 15"es in a 10" boot should lead to 2 soles falling off, another loosing all its waterproofness even after many many time so recoating with sealer. They just cant take the abuse other boots can. Flat land go back to your house at nite boot..maybe. A guy whose gonna put them through swamps, rocks, and the like...no way!

Nub,

My newest pair of boots is the Ak hunter Meindels. They are great! I have also heard the Denali and the other one Cabela's sells is great also. I dont like buying from belas, and this is one sitation where if you can get them from meindel do so. I have heard the quality between the two isnt there. Mine are great and stood up to a all but wet and sharp sheep hunt (23 day), then right back to go to Wy for the elk hunt (3 1/2 weeks where they were warn on the steeper climbs. To say the least I have put some miles on them! I wouldnt recommend the Ak Hunters for flatland hunting as they are the next closest thing to a plastic boot (something a sheep hunter should be wearing in the first place lol), but the denali's and the other ones are great! not quite as stiff but very rugged, and durable.....its a boot that will last you a good long while! I wore mine hunting moose and would wear them chasing grouse too. It has to do more with confidence and quality in the boot, then climbing for grouse lol. You get used to the stiffness real quick, and there was little break in time in these boots.

I have also had the wolverine "sport boots" for 99 bucks (2 pairs now). I will tell ya they were great untill I went on my Wrangle Mt sheep hunt in 98. The leather is soft but the boot didnt fail me in razor sharp rocks, that alone says something. They are very warm with 600 grams of thinsulate and a pair of poly pro socks. The boot is a little heavy though for a flat land boot. The leather is a little softer also giving it a bit less ankle support.....its a fine boot, just dont take it sheep hunting lol.

good stuff on your cutco!

http://www.geocities.com/tradbow007/...dventures.html
Old 10-27-2002, 01:41 PM

I've heard some real nightmares about the soles on Rockies. Ask anyone in the PA Fish Commission. They've sent so many pairs back they finally switched brands. I was introduced to VASQUE boots recently. I never spent $200 on any 3 pair in my life, but having bad feet and tired of them aching, I put out the bucks and so far I love them. I got mine from a local dealer here in PA and had my first pair about 6 months when I had sole problems, but with no questions asked, he handed me a new pair. They can be a bear to break in, but I think that is half the boots and the other half is breaking in your feet to the boots. Got them 2 weeks before my elk hunt and figured I'd have problems, but they felt as good as the first pair after break-in. If the price doesn't kill you, they're worth the money. Ask Rob (PA bowyer), that's who turned me on to them.

Chuck Pensyl
Smart Hunters Wear
ASAT Camouflage
[email protected]
Old 10-27-2002, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sooner, the man had a question, so I tried to answer it.

If you go to the main message board page, you'll notice that I'm not a bowhunting room moderator. I have no power in here...if a moderator feels like this topic should be moved or locked then he/she can do it, fine with me.

But don't ride the mods case, mine for sure. I try to do my job, and usually, get it done without any help. Thanks.

--Oh yes, if any of you ever have any questions or would like to talk something over with me, I'm always up for reading emails. Please use that instead of posting it on the board.

"If a lie is repeated often enough, the gullible public will eventually believe it." -- Paul Joseph Goebbels (Chief Minister of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda for Adolph Hitler)

Edited by - FroMan on 10/27/2002 15:50:31
Old 10-27-2002, 05:03 PM

Sooner you must be one hell of a hunter if you put as much time into hunting as you do into moderating these posts you must have some fustrated life to sit on the computer all day judging people all I was trying to do was get a simple answer to a simple question from fellow bowhunters this is the only forum that answers any posts I got one reply to my quesstion in the gear forum and besides that you are the only one that seems to have a problem with it as soon as i figure out how to delete my topic I will just to please you have a nice life sooner I got some bowhunting to do
Old 10-27-2002, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm suprised at the problems with Rocky boots. I have had good service from them.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:07 PM

I can't believe people have had trouble with Rocky boots. Myself and several of my friends have been wearing Rocky boots for years and never had a problem. My last pair of Rocky Cornstalkers lasted 10 years before I did what Davidmil said and melted the bottom of the sole on a hot rock around the campfire in Colorado. My current pair of Bearclaws are 4 years old and have been put through a whole lotta punishment and are still in great shape. I've never seen a more comfortable boot straight out of the box. I've never needed a break-in period for Rocky boots, just put them on and hunt. No blisters, sore feet, etc just comfortable and dry feet from the very first day on.

What type of Rockys have you had trouble with?
Old 10-27-2002, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

do you people not send your rocky's back for a new pair when they tear up?

High Country Archery - "Driven to greater heights..."
Old 10-27-2002, 10:32 PM

I have friends that have recommended the rocky boots to me as my timberlines are dead after 15 yrs of outstanding service. The rockies just like all boats "manufactured" in the USA today have a counter part made in mainland China. They are cheaper and poorly made. These I was warned to look out for, simply look at the inside of the tounge in one of the shoes/boots, they are stamped with Chinies{sp} wrighting. Bargains sometimes are not what they appear. Retail stores buy these boots because they are lower cost than the ones actually made in the states. Many will have both in the store and put a particluar boot on sale and make the same money. Old saying "Buyer Beware" if it looks too good to be true then it probably is. I had a pair of Wolverines for probably 25yrs but I wore the "Boar Hide" through on the sides of them. Talk about putting on some miles.

Misplaced Buckeye
Old 10-29-2002, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Got 2 pairs of Rockys. Both are really good boots for the price, paid about $75 for each. On one of them, the soles started wearing out, but that's b/c my bro would wear them on cement/asphalt when working all day! All in all, I'd buy another pair.

I also have the Bruin that I got from Cabelas and that boot is also good.