Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Preference on String Silencers

Old 04-14-2006, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Preference on String Silencers

I use the Sims Vibration silencers. [8D]
Old 04-14-2006, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

I second on the leeches. They are great silencer. If you shoot alot I wouldn't recommend the leeches, you might need to replace them sooner than you think. For me I don't mind replacing it, as long as it works and quiets my string down.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sandilands

Sorry guys but I'm new and need definitions so all this can help me. I have those rubber string silencers that the guy at the archery shoptold me work best...... I've also seen the wool type and the plastic shaped like an 's'. I look for silence with my bowand would like to know the difference..... also low maintenance, I don't know much yet. I'm not worried too much about speed as I am w/ accuracy and silece. Do 3D or target shooters use silencers on their equipment?
I think you are referring to these from Limb Savers.... The string leech:

I have these on my bow because they are just a hair lighter in weight and do the same job... The "super" leech:

Old 04-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

I don't use leaches anymore,they tear or fly out of my string,I have served them in too.I find that cat whiskers work best for my Hoyt Razer tech.I'll bet what makes the leaches work good on some and not others is the string angle,speed draw length and possibly string type.It seems that whiskers on my bow are pretty tough.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Spike

By the way you worded your post, it sounds like you have wiskers.. do they just look like a bll of strings tied together?? if yes, you have "wiskers" the plastic "s" shaped ones are considered "leeches". Hope that is what you are looking for.