Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground hunting....do you?

Old 04-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ground hunting....do you?

How many guys out there hunt on the ground, in or out of blinds. Personally last year as most of you guys know I broke my leg/ankle blah blah and hunted off the ground quite a bit. Actually I kinda got hooked on this site so you guys could lift my spirits when I was stuck at home. Anyways, I hunted off the ground all of last season and took a few deer. How many of you guys hunt of the ground with regularity? If you do hunt off the ground do you prefer it to hunting out of the stand?

I'm just trying to get a convo going.

Personally I like changing it up and hunting on the ground every once and a while, only if the wind is perfect and I've washed up with scent killing products.

If you are interested in hunting in the ground and have never done it, I'd def. recommend Fred Asbell's book "the ground hunter's bible" it's a good read. Shoot, it's good to read even if you're not going to hunt off the ground, helpful tips and tactics not just for traditional hunters, but stuff that can be applied to guys who hunt 30' off the ground.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:14 PM

Default RE: Ground hunting....do you?

I only stalk or ambush on the ground. In my mind, is the most challenging and rewarding.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Although I mostly hunt from a treestand, under certain circumstances I do hunt on the ground. That in large part depends on where I am hunting, terrain, etc. I've taken two P&Y bucks from the ground. I've also found that in the very late season ground hunting can be very productive because many of the deer are looking up. Crouching beside a tree or in brush aside from a trail works well.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Although I mostly hunt from a treestand, under certain circumstances I do hunt on the ground. That in large part depends on where I am hunting, terrain, etc. I've taken two P&Y bucks from the ground. I've also found that in the very late season ground hunting can be very productive because many of the deer are looking up. Crouching beside a tree or in brush aside from a trail works well.
Took the words right outta my mouth.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always hunt off the ground i find it to be very rewarding. It is pretty hard though you're movement and scent have to both be pretty muchnon exhistant it seems.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:48 PM

What the heck is a tree stand??? Never heard of such a thing!
Old 04-03-2006, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I absolutely love hunting from the ground! The thing I like most about ground hunting is being on the animals level, I arrowed one of my first archerywhitetail bucks from the ground, I had never even heard of a treestand back then in Idaho and he the buckhad no idea as to my whereabouts when the arrow went screaming though both of his lungs at 12 yards. His nose wasstuck in a does rump, he jumped out of the big scrape he was standing in, spun and then almost ran me over in my makeshift naturalground blind. I waved my hand in reflexthinkinghe was going topummel me. At the last second he made likeole #20 rb from theDetroitLions stopped on a dime, juked and thenbolted straight away 40-50 yards on a dead run before tumbling arse over tea-kettle and was done, I got to watch it all! It was wicked!His neck was swollenup like he was on 'roidsand he dressed over 200lbs, Yeah, I love hunting 'em on the ground ever since that drizzly day, still do it today. I get a whole different "high" out of shooting a critter at eye level. I probably bowhunt about 40/60 ground versus stands, and I like both methodsfordifferent reasons. Bulls and bears on the ground with abow in hand..just as exciting if not better than deer!
Old 04-04-2006, 12:23 AM

Ground hunting!! All Spot and Stalk, except for the Rut, thenI make a ground blind.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always hunt out of a tree stand, I find it the most rewarding, this just boils down to personal preference. The only time I hunt from the ground is walking to and from my stands. Ive hunted from the ground many times, but I can get a better view of whats happening around me from an elevated position. I have better success from a standbecause I getbetter shot placement, better shot opportunities and angles, better blood trails on pass throughs, better success on recovering the animals, that to me is more rewarding then shooting a deer from the ground and in some areas its the ONLY option. Some people find shooting a traditional bow more rewarding than shooting a compound, a compound gives me a higher chance of recovering an animal so I'll stick with compounds even though I own and shoot a recurve pretty good.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt both in a treestand and in a ground blind. I tend to do more of the former because of the areas I find to be most productive. However, I really do enjoy hunting out of a ground blind as well. It seems as if every year I hunt out of them a bit more often. I just bought a new one and hope to try it out for turkey here in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Ground hunting....do you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.