Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground hunting....do you?

Old 04-04-2006, 10:50 AM

Default RE: Ground hunting....do you?

Whitetails from the air, everything else from the ground. However I did set up a treestand for brown bear last fall and saw quite a few blacktails out of it. Hmmm... something to think about for next year.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

100% from the trees.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:58 AM

all ground hunting here for the last 10 yrs i dont like hieghts .
Old 04-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started hunting with an old recurve and wooden arrows. now I hunt with a modern Mathews with sights micro adjustable rest carben arrows string' limnb and what have ya scilencers etc. etc. In other words I have changed with the times and I have used treestands since the Baker Brothers built the first portable stand. I will be the first one to admit that hunting from a tree stand is more productive and yes easier. But I take advantage of everything I can in the deer woods. Now with a gun I do sometimes use a ground stand but still perfer a tree stand. Mike
Old 04-04-2006, 12:28 PM

I like the ground better. I read so many responses to posts like this saying you'll get way more deer from a treestand but I think both methods have their advantages. And I don't buy the arguement that you conceal scent or movement better from a treestand - if you're taking the right precautions on the ground. Both can be just as effective from my limited experience bow hunting.

I'll also agree with the terrain factor. I got spotted a few times in a treestand this year by deer cruising a ridge a hundred yards off that was only a few feet lower than my stand. So I learned really quickly that a ground blind wasa much better setup in a situation like this. A trip to the farm store and $50 spent on a cheap pop-up and I was seeing a lot more deer within 25 yards of the same spot.

Hey PA Bowhunter, mind shooting me an e-mail or PM about what kind of blind you got? Looking to upgrade this year to something more roomy.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Site Buck Guru

I do both. I let the terrain dictate which method I should use.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I'm in a new area, I want to be in a tree so I can see more of whats happening. Sort of on-the-job-scouting.

I'll hunt on the ground if the wind is goign to make a major switch during the day, if I want to hunt more than one location in a day, or if there is snow on the ground and not too many hunters are about.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

I do almost all bowhunting out of a tree.I tried a blind [cheap one] it
seemed to spoke the deer,although I did shoot a young doe out of it.
I found a old abanded house with a shed that on the out skirt of a
suburbon areaThis old shed makes the best ground blind I have
ever seen,shot alot of deer out of it in the last two years.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am an avid ground hunter.. and very aggressive at that. I love the stand when conditions are right and you really need to observe more. When it has been time for the kill, I've been known to hunt from the ground.

I've taken several deer and several coyotes from the ground and enjoy the up close attitude from a ground position.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

good posts boys. Keep 'em coming.

Quick Reply: Ground hunting....do you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.