Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Going Blind

Old 04-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Going Blind

How about talking to your eye doctor ...
I agree with WTD, sounds like your doctor gave you reading glasses and didn't really understand your situation.
I have no problems shooting with glasses, but, I've never worn bi-focals and if you can't see near or far you may need them. Talk to your doctor, worse case you get one pair forclimbing upthe stand, and another for sitting in it.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Mike, I think I would consider some other options such as PRK or Lasik eye surgery. Now days these procedures are common place with exceptional results. I am not a MD nor do I know if you are a candidate but sounds like it may be worth some investigating. Both procedures are covered by most insurance. LOL
Old 04-03-2006, 08:16 PM

It sounds like you are closingone eye and aiming through your peep with the other. This past year I tried shooting with both eyes open and after some practice, my shooting really improved. Perhaps if you keep both eyes open, you will be able to focusyour pins better. It does take some practice to get used to it, but maybe you need two eyes rather than just one?? Just a thought
Old 04-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

I understand your dilema, I wear reading glasses, but don't need glasses to see at a distance. I gave up handgun shooting basically for the same reason you state, eyes sights blurry, glasses sight clear target blurry. I started having the same problem with my sight pins on my bow and was about to go to a verifier peep sight, which actually does the same thing reading glasses would do. But a guy I shoot with got me started shooting with both eyes open and it does help to give you some depth perception. With todays bright FiberOptics I get a lot of halo effect from the pins and shooting with both eyes opens lessens that effect. I have always shot with one closed and it was difficult at first but gets easier as you practice. Good luck from one Ol Timer to another.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike, not sure how old you are, but I am nearing 50 (4 months) and several years ago I had a problem with blurry..... I now wear bifocals, no line in fact and have no problem with pins.

Have to agree with some of the others, best take a trip to the eye doctor and have things checked out.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:38 PM

See an opthamologist instead of an optometrist (if you haven't already).
Old 04-04-2006, 09:07 AM

You might want to consider laser surgery. It is supposedly expensive but hey what is a few dollars to bow hunting?