Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Metal vs Carbon

Old 04-02-2006, 07:16 PM

Default RE: Metal vs Carbon

What was the question again? [8D][&:]
Old 04-03-2006, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is that what I said?
Yes. I believe I understand your position quite accurately. Here are the points where I believe we disagree. Let me summarize and please correct me where I'm wrong.
1) You defend the blanket statement that carbon arrows are "not straight to start with". I say it's wrong and unqualified.
2) You don't agree that you can buy carbon arrows that meet equal to or tighter straightness tolerances than aluminum. I say you certainly can.
3) I believe that your straightness criteria of "straight means the arrow is still usable and within what most would consider a good arrow" is not adequate "for the purpose of this discussion". You obviously do.

You are the one getting semantic about it and saying that even if it is bad it is still straight to some extent.
Absolutely! Nothing is perfectly straight and therefore "bad" for straightness can only be determined relative to some criteria. So yes, it's absolutely true that an arrow can be "bad" or fail to pass one specification but be fine for a looser criteria. It's actually a pretty simple and common concept. That's how we ALL (including you) buy arrows. If you purchase arrows from the +/- .006 bin if you will, a good share of those arrows would be "bad" if your expectations were +/- .001 THerefore"bad"for 1 specification "good" for another. So if this is "semantics" then we all need to understand these "semantics" when we purchase arrows.
However if I can see that it is warped why would I waste the time measuring it?
You wouldn't, that would be silly! If I just bought arrows that claimed to fall within a tolerance of +/- .001 and I could see they are warped I would take them back immediately and scream bloody murder until they replaced them with arrows that did meet the spec. This is little different to me than if I ordered arrows with 4" fletching and when I opened the box they were 3" fletches. They didn't deliver what they promised. To me, this is a totally differnt issue.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

What was the question again? [8D][&:]
LOL, you got that right! It started as advice about switching to carbons but actually I think the current discussion about straightness specs is worthwhile. It's not possible to make good decisions when comparing one product to another if we don't understandimportant engineering specifications for that product. Straightness specs are a major driver in how arrows are priced and sold not to mention how they perform. It's not "semantics".
Old 04-03-2006, 07:37 AM

Is this the bowHUNTING forum. If so do thousandths of an inch matter for HUNTING purposes? I think the points being argued would really only affect worldclass archers, or pros, or someone who shoots great and is really anal. But I'm prolly just a dumb hick from NC so what do I know?[8D]
Old 04-03-2006, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: turtleshell

Is this the bowHUNTING forum. If so do thousandths of an inch matter for HUNTING purposes? I think the points being argued would really only affect worldclass archers, or pros, or someone who shoots great and is really anal. But I'm prolly just a dumb hick from NC so what do I know?[8D]
Good point turtleshell! This probably should be moved to the technical forum. Of course the decision to buy carbon or aluminum is certainly a decision hunters make and if straightness is important to you I guess it makes sense to understand what the advertised specs mean or don't mean.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

I hunted with gamegetter 2216s for about 15 years. I switched to carbons about 6 years ago and am never going back. My favorite to date is carbon express. I like gold tips as well.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Good point turtleshell! This probably should be moved to the technical forum. Of course the decision to buy carbon or aluminum is certainly a decision hunters make and if straightness is important to you I guess it makes sense to understand what the advertised specs mean or don't mean.
Just change your thinking turtleshell. "Do you like using alluminums or carbons for hunting"? I feel it is a very legit question for this forum. Because there is a big difference in shafts for target bows and hunting bows. My hunting bows use a little heavier carbon than I would for targets. Also, the life of a hunting shaft is much different than a targets. In that reguard I love carbons because of the number of animals you can take per shaft. Aluminums life is much shorter when you start putting them in animals. If you dont get a good pass through with an alluminum, the shaft will probably be toast.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks to all you guys for the information and now see that I have many parameters to consider and will be looking into each when my range is clear of snow and mud.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't agree more with ya man.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

But I'm prolly just a dumb hick from NC so what do I know?[8D]
I couldn't agree more with ya man.
Now that's not very nice, turtleshell is not a hick and he's definately not dumb! Guess he is from NC though. [8D]

Quick Reply: Metal vs Carbon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.