Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

new bowhunter/cattle question

Old 03-28-2006, 01:28 PM

Default new bowhunter/cattle question

Hello everyone Im new to the board. I'm 19 and live in Richmond, KY. I have gun hunted for several years and want to start seriously bowhunting this year. I have hunted the same land for several years. Last year cattle were added making it harder to pattern the deer. One day last year I was in the stand and a cow walked into the woods within several yards of me, after which i gave up for the day. Deer are still there, but there is very little thick cover on the property, the area i am hunting is my only option. Last year I put barbed wire around several trees and made a feeder out of a garbage can. Besides the feeder and some deer salt is there anything I can do to the area around my stand to make deer more attracted to it? Also, any advice for a new bowhunter?
Old 03-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: new bowhunter/cattle question

Do you have more thn one stand in the area Kyle?Also how much pressure do you put on the area.If you don't have a real big area to hunt, you may want to hunt just the right times,when the wind or conditions are right.I don't know much about baiting cause it's not allowed here in Illinois.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:36 PM

I have permanent ladder stand there. I have taken a deer there 2 of the last 3 seasons. There are other places on the property that are suitable and I do have a climbing stand as wellbut its mostly trees growing along fence rows, not very much cover. Maybe before gun season i might have some luck in those areas if i can catch them when they're moving and arent yet too scared to travel ground that is more open.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Dominant Buck

I have never seen thecattle bother the deer around here. I guess that is because they are use to them. Texas has the cattle. Yesterday I was on the road and noticed a tom and a bunch of hensin a wheat field behind some does feeding, that were about 50 yards from a bunch of cows. I have shot a lot of does while out feeding cattle. I bet the deer will get use to them and it wont be a problem.

Now hogs will bully the deer around. They will bully cows as well.