Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

youth bow for an adult?

Old 03-26-2006, 12:24 AM

Default youth bow for an adult?

Hey this is Chunker from SW Iowa,

I'm getting my first bow and have been shooting a lot of bows just to see how different bows can feel. I have also priced many, many bows. I shot a PSE spyder, which is labeled a "youth" bow. It was set at 26" which is my draw length and 55#. Since the biggest animal I plan on hunting with it are Whitetails that weight should be plenty. I've also read that a bow functions better when set at or near its highest weight (ex. a bow that can range from 45-65 would work better at 62 then 48) So to get to my question, is there anything else I should worry about if I decide to buy this "youth" bow? It seems to fit me, shot well and was a heck of a lot cheaper than anything else i've shot. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance. Chunker
Old 03-26-2006, 09:56 AM

Default RE: youth bow for an adult?

any bow out these days that are made for hunting will kill a whitetail without a problem, if the bow fits you and you like it go ahead and get it
Old 03-26-2006, 10:28 AM

Nothing wrong with a youth bow, I could suggest a few if that is what you want. However your draw length and weight does not limit you to a youth type bow. Many companies make very nice bows in that range. I have a bowtech mighty might that is set to 26 inches and around 55 lbs. And now they have a new bow called the Equalizer or something that sounds even better for short draw archers.

My girlfriend just got a new rintec that is very nice as well.

Having the bow at peak weight is not a real big deal in my opinion. Sure it may be slightly more efficient maxed out, but I think you are splitting hairs at that point with the newer bows. Especially with a shorter draw length. My mighty might is still very effecient at the lower limit of the weight range and a 25.5 inch module in it. When did all the math figuring for loss of draw length, draw weight and arrow weight it come out in the advertised IBO speed rating for that bow (around 320 fps), towards the upper end actually. As far as accuracy and noise goes I own about 5 bows and non of them shoot or handle any different regardless of where the limbs are as long as they are tuned. Well they draw easier of course.

The main thing to consider with a youth bow is most are not real effecient to begin with, but they offer a lot of adjustability. If are looking to get serious about archery and want to hunt I would suggest looking at a bow geared towards an adult small draw archer rather than a true youth bow. It will cost more money most likely though.

Look at as many as you can first, don't just go with the first thing you shoot because it felt ok. It's really hard to tell with nothing to compare it to. I would suggest looking at the Hoyt Rintec if you want that type of bow. It's about the best womens/youth bow I have seen in the past few years. You can get them cammo for around 300 dollars in my area.

Paul
Old 03-27-2006, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

There really is no such thing as a youth bow, or woman's bow. They are just "bows" with lower draw weight, length and axle to axle. If they fit you and you shoot it well, then go for it!
Old 03-31-2006, 01:59 PM

Hey all, thanks for the advice, I just bought my first bow lastnight, it took about 3 hours to get all the gear mounted and arrows cut, but now i'm ready to take some shots, I bought a used PSE Spyder 26" and 52".I hada wisker biscuit, a 5 pin sight, and a peep sight put on. I plan on going out tommorrow and getting it sighted in and just practicing. At the shop, the pro's got me hitting the crosshairs from ten yards using the top pin so it's nice to know I atleast have one distance sighted in. No real questions, just excited and I don't really have any friends who bow hunt and I had to say something to someone!!! If anyone is from around Ames, IA and wants a practice shooting partner, give me a holler!
Old 03-31-2006, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

you are hooked now enjoy it and shoot as much as you can
Old 03-31-2006, 02:04 PM

I've also read that a bow functions better when set at or near its highest weight (ex. a bow that can range from 45-65 would work better at 62 then 48)

I think that statementy is false becaus ei have tested it and it changes nothing!
Old 03-31-2006, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

Hope you enjoy the new bow like everyone said its the fit of the bow which will make y ou a better shooter not the price of thebow......
Old 03-31-2006, 02:42 PM

i ment 26" and 52#. I'mgonna get it turned up a little higher come hunting season, but until I get better form, i'm keeping it a little lower.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:51 PM

NOT TO HAPPY WITH THE NEW BOW NOW!!!

I just got back from a shooting range, about 10 shots in trying to set the sights, one of the limbs snapped and slashed me across the face, i'm getting in my car right now to go back to the shop I bought it from, I wonder what there going to say about this...as far as I know, a bow should last longer than 10 shots.

Quick Reply: youth bow for an adult?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.