Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hey guys, read this and give opinion.....

Old 10-25-2002, 06:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hey guys, read this and give opinion.....

YUP, I shot one at about 10 feet one time and SAW the arrow enter about the 5th rib and it came out under the front shoulder. The arrow was covered in slimy green stinky stuff. My buddy said I gut shot it. I said I didn't. We found maybe a tablespoon of blood in 100 yards. The arrow had passed through the deers esphogus. The deer regurgetated all kinds of green chewed up stuff. It followed the exit channel and plugged it solid. There was a ball of half chewed green stuff between the hide and the arm pit that would choke a horse. We teach in bowhunter education classes that what you see is NOT necessarily so. Well, sometimes it is and the evidence is wrong.

Old 10-25-2002, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

The venison from old critters like that needs to be aged. I age mine at least 1 week at 32 degrees. The chemicals responsible for the gamey taste need at least that long to break down.

A friend of mine once had that scenario happen to him. We found the deer easily the next morning and I handed him my knife to start the dressing job. He about gagged. On the ride home he was extrememly quiet and once home he offered the deer to me. I took it, but I explained why. I told him that I figured that he was going to throw it away and that there was nothing wrong with it other than the smell. He was ashamed of the deer and the shot and didn't want to deal with it.

Guess what he ate the next time he and his wife showed up at my house. They never knew the difference.

We don't hunt together any longer.

~Will Hunt For Food~
Old 10-25-2002, 06:44 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-25-2002, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will throw in my 2 cents also, on any deer meat I will always soak it overnight in salt water which draws out the gamey taste, I have never tried milk for this, but I do soak liver in milk so I imagine it would work for deer also.

Any idea what the main diet of the deer was, I have had people tell me that some deer meat is funky smelling due to what they eat.

Here is another point that may have caused it to be strong, adreniline! I know that the few deer I have killed in front of dogs were stronger than any of the deer I have killed that were not being run. My cousin swore it was the adreniline due to the deer being run, we didn't run dogs, but if you are hunting on land that the floks running dogs do not hunt and their dogs run one down in front of you, you don't sit there and say " I will let him go because there not my dogs" you shoot him! Maybe the doe due to all the thrashing got herself pumped up with adrenilne.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club