Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dogs on my hunting land

Old 03-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Dogs on my hunting land

SSS
Old 03-22-2006, 01:11 AM

Kill the mangy varmints!!!!
Old 03-22-2006, 03:31 AM
Typical Buck

I agree that dogs can be a nuisance. I'm not familiar with the game laws in MN, but here in Missouri, you can't just shoot any dog you see, regardless of it's action, unless it's a threat to you or your livestock. In your case, it seems like a couple of yard dogs that need to be restrained during the fall. In my home state, you can be sued for shooting a person's dog, even if they are running deer. The problem is, dogs don't know posted land from public ground. I would strongly caution you to refrain from shooting any hunting type dog you see no matter what. I coon hunted in the past, and it was not uncommon to lose a dog one night on public ground, only to pick him up at someone's house. If you know anything of hounds, you know that a registered coon hound, that trees coons is worth a lotta money. It's not uncommon for one of these dogs, if he's a night champion or Grand night champion, to sell for upwards of 5,000 dollars. If he's good enough, an owner might make his entire living from stud fees from the dog. So, if he found out you had shot his moneymaker, he'd be real likely to take you to court. There was a guy about 10 years back here in MO, that had his Grand Night Champion stud dog shot, because he happened to put a coon up a tree in some doctor's yard. The doctor shot him, to get him to shut up, and ended up spending 1,000's in court costs and ultimately having tp pay the man about 10,000.00 in reparations. My advice would be to contact the local authorities and give them a heads up on what's going on. If the guy lives close by and he's not keeping them up, he could be fined for failure to control his pups.

GH
Old 03-22-2006, 06:29 AM
Typical Buck

Grasshopper, I'm guessing almost all of us would rather not shoot a dog and most would find it difficult to do. Seeing a dog one time could be it just got loose. Seeing dogs multiple times is a slob of an owner who doesn't care what the dogs worth. The dog may not know when its private land but the owner should. If someones going to own a pet they need to accept the responsiblities that go with it. Hard to believe you can get in trouble for shooting a dog on your land in Missouri. Of course, nowadays you can get sued for just about anything.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:51 AM

me and my dad had that same problem a few years back. i just used it as practice siteing in my new gun. not to say i killed any but me or my dad never saw them agian.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well......
1. the landowner did have him come over and get his captured dog. I don't think brandishing a firearm was such a good idea but that's water under the bridge now.

2. the sherrif was called.

3. the sherrif was called.

4. the sherrif was called.

The dog owner has been given more than enough warning. It is the dog owners lack of action which has brought the situation to where it it now.

Next move is yours.

Besides, Doberman's are known far and wide for their excellent fertilizing characteristics.

(Word here - I WOULDN'T PLANT ONE OF THOSE DOGS ON THE PROPERTY.It would be far too easy for one of the remaining dogs to lead someone to them, even buried. That could lead to potential problems with the landowner that should be avoided at all costs, right? Find somewhere else for the final resting places.)
Old 03-22-2006, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I whacked a dog last year with my bow and that was a good idea because the landowner never heard it and the dog dropped real close to the stand. These dogs had ran our property for the past 4 years. I've got one more dog to go. Once I kill that one I'll be free of my problem. I just drove a ways and dumped the dogs in the ditch to make it look like a road kill.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:45 AM

I think you should take it up with the owner. The dogs don't know any better. I wouldn't let my dogs run all wild, but if one happened to get out and someone shot him/her, well lets just say I consider my dogs a part of my family member, what would you do if someone shot your kid. If some one shot my dog they'd have an a$$ whuppin coming to them in the very least if not something more drastic.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:47 AM

ORIGINAL: aeroslinger

Grasshopper, I'm guessing almost all of us would rather not shoot a dog and most would find it difficult to do. Seeing a dog one time could be it just got loose. Seeing dogs multiple times is a slob of an owner who doesn't care what the dogs worth. The dog may not know when its private land but the owner should. If someones going to own a pet they need to accept the responsiblities that go with it.
I agree, in NC there is a leash law, if the dog runs free the dog catcher will come pick him up and take him to the pound. Is that not a viable option or is there no animal control where this guy lives?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its the dog owners responsiblility to keep control of his dogs. He obviously isn't. I'd get in touch with your local dog warden if have one. If not whatever person in that township that knows the law on dogs. Then take appropiate action to have him fined. Do this now, and take care of it before deer season. Also find out what rights you have if the problem continues. Be sure before you act. In NY you can't legally kill someone elses dog. Only a policeman, game warden or dog warden has that right. You don't want legal action taken against yourself. Once gathered all the facts take it from there, and do what you can.

Quick Reply: Dogs on my hunting land

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.