Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground hunting sucks....

Old 10-23-2002, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ground hunting sucks....

Ground hunting, with a bow especially is tough. On our lease back in February, we had an ice storm that topped off a lot of trees. Now every 30-50 yards in our woods we have some nice ready-made ground blinds. That ought to be great for spring turkey season. As for deer with a bow, a little trimming here and a little trimming there, you have a nice condo in the woods. If you prep the area right it makes it at least possible, but it still sure is tough.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks. i'm sure if i had prepared the tree tops for a ground blind i could have gotten a shot. but with me knowing the deer would be coming that way eventually. i didn't want to be snaping limbs and making a lot of noise. so i kicked back some leaves and took my seat and waited. sure enough the deer was sneaking through the woods. i'm not saying i won't ever try it agian. or i won't make a blind. but this first time really wasn't that enjoyable. but it wasn't a total loss. watching the small buck browse around and keep watching behind him was entertaining.

High Country Archery - "Driven to greater heights..."
Old 10-23-2002, 10:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now you know why us ground boys like it so much.....LOL.

The point you should take is you were smart enough to find a spot and wait it out, even if a shot didn't materialize....that's hunting. Also had you had a shot would have you taken the doe, that turned out to be a buck or was it all good in the end?

Old 10-23-2002, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

it's all good. i'm sorta glad i didn't take it because i've only got two shots left this season. well two deer left and the rut hasn't started yet. so i'm going to try and save them for the big boys. i'd like to take one more durning the rut the first of nov. then gun hunt. and have my last one for after gun season to close the year on.

High Country Archery - "Driven to greater heights..."
Old 10-27-2002, 08:52 PM

Don't think hunting from the ground is all that bad. Really have to check the wind, and where you sit. I never try to hid in brush or any thing like that. I just sit in front of a decent size tree, that hides my outline a little. Deer don't even seem to notice you, until they're right on top of you. Just have to be patient, and wait for the right time to draw. Just from my own experiences.