Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Archery Yukon Moose Float Hunt

Old 02-26-2006, 08:35 PM

Default Archery Yukon Moose Float Hunt

I am planning to do a alaskan yukon/canadian yukon moose hunt in 2007. There will be 2 of us going, both archery. I am looking for recommendations on either guided or unguided moose outfitters.

It seems most guided hunts are 8K and up, but we can do a float plane/river float hunt on our own unguided/semi-guided for a lot less, maybe 1500-3500.

Please let me know if you have any reccomendations on locations, outtfitters, bush/float plane rentals, guided vs. unguided, etc...

Thanks fellow archers!

Moose pics would be great too![/align]
Old 02-26-2006, 11:34 PM

Default RE: Archery Yukon Moose Float Hunt

If you've never moose hunted before I'd go with "guided". If you know what you're doing I'd go "unguided". Of course mine is an "un-experienced" response. I haven't been on either one. So my opinion may be worthless!
Old 02-27-2006, 12:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'd post on the archer's choice forum....ralph and vicki have taken some big bulls. They can probably point you in the right direction.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:56 AM

Plan well, prepare hard and have a frickin BLAST ! sounds great - live life to its fullest ! I do it myself on most of my hunts and its the only way to go. Wish i could do a float trip moose hunt .......... check that, I WILL someday do something like that !
Old 02-27-2006, 08:26 AM

I am an experienced archer and do not mind the physically demanding and do-it-yourself hunts. I have taken many nice trophies this way. I have hunted in the mountains in spike camps while hunting elk in grizzly country before also.

I have never hunted moose though. I could have killedmany moosein the Rockies while I was elk hunting, but never could get a tag. I figure I would rather kill a yukon monster if I am going to go to Alaska.

Still don't know the best areas and outfits to go with though. I am keeping my options open and considering all suggestions. I would liek to keep the price to 2500 or less.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 02-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try Jim Shockey's--I've never been on one of his trips myself, but have seen quite a few of his guided hunts on tapes. http://www.JimShockey.com

Old 02-27-2006, 09:49 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

That all depends on how comfortable you are in the wilderness by yourself. There won't be any cell phone towers out there. If you get in a bind it could cost you your life. I went on an unguided but outfitted trip to Alaska and would do it again. IMO there is no need for a guide if you are a competant hunter and the outfitter puts you in a good area. Your survival skills better be up to snuff being on a river and I would get as much information as possible about Alaskan rivers and how to navigate them.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:03 PM

mez,

I like your thinking. I would like the unguided, but outfitted hunt option most. What did you hunt on your trip and what outfitter? Sounds like you have some personal experience in Alaskan hunting!

Thanks,

Jacob
Old 02-27-2006, 04:12 PM

We've just started planning our trip for 2010 (wives are sending me and my buddy for our 40th b.days).

I don't know if cost is an issue for you, but for some reason (and I'd like to find out why), the same hunts in Canada seem to be significantly cheaper, especially for combo hunts (Moose/Bear, etc..)

We really want to go to Alaska, but cost might be a deciding factor for us!

Old 02-27-2006, 04:37 PM

Most areas of Canada are smaller moose, not Yukon Moose. There are some Yukon moose in canada but the costs are the same as Alaska for guided 9-12K.

You can go on a canadian moose hunt for 2-6K. They may only be 50 inchers, but for 60+ you want to hunt the YUkon Moose.