Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Carbon vs. Aluminum

Old 02-25-2006, 09:00 PM

Default RE: Carbon vs. Aluminum

With carbon arrows you will get better penetration because they are smaller in diameter and they straighten out a lot faster than aluminums do down range. Also they don't flex as much as the aluminums do on impact.
Go to www.carbonexpressarrows.com and check out the slow motion video clips.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personal preference only, I like carbon, but I am sure some aluminum is just as good or fast, or whateever you want to make the choice on! [8D]
Old 02-25-2006, 09:40 PM

Shooting aluminums from any bow shooting broadheads over 250fps (ESPECIALLY those doing over 265) is like running buckshots on a Ferrari.

Man trust me, I fought the trend for years. Even being in the business I was "ignorantly stubborn" about making "the big switch". The last deer I killed with XX75s was a P&Y 8ptr in MO in 02,I told mybuddies on the hunt "You can't believe I am still shooting aluminums? Look in the bed of my truck!!!" But when I took my Hoyt out the next year and went too Gold Tips WOW what I was missing. My old Hoyt Deviator Carbonite still throws GT 55/75s with Rocket 100 (fixed) 281fps. I could now shoot one pin too 30 yds and the arrows were basically indestructible. Imagine dressing Christie Brinkley in grandmas underpants and a flannel gown!!! []

I never even considered aluminums lastyear when my state legalized Xbows and I bought a TenPoint TL4. It came with a few alloys but I quickly replaced them with graphites from Horton! Of the hundreds of dozens of arrows and bolts we sold lastyear I can count on two hands the number of dozens of aluminums we sold.

Though I use 250fps as the threshold (there are still ALOT of 10-20 year old bows still in use today) I really recommend them for ANY bowhunter. The same attributes that make them great for fast bows likewise makes them just as great for ANY bow. You just gotta makesure your bow can handle them, some old bows will be basically "dry firing" if you used such light arrows on them.

Good luck,
RA
Old 02-25-2006, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

Get the best of both worlds if you can afford it.........aluminum/carbons.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Imagine dressing Christie Brinkley in grandmas underpants and a flannel gown!!!
Heck, you're still living in the past. Seen her lately? That ol' gal practically IS a grandma in granny drawers and flannel gown!

Here's the way I see it...

Shooters love carbon because they're fast. Not necessarily as good or accurate as aluminum. Just fast. Until you get well over $100 a dozen for raw shafts, they aren't as straight as even the cheapest aluminum.

Carbons don't get bent but they do getwarped. And they wear out. The more they're used the faster they wear out. (If you don't believe that, take some brand new carbons and the ones you've been shooting for the past five years and compare how the two batchesgroup.) Someone who is very particular about his arrows will spend more money on carbons over a five year period than he would with aluminum.

Wholesalers and dealers love carbon because they can cover some 60 pounds of spine differences with three shaft sizes. To be well stocked with aluminum, they'd have to have a different size arrow to cover each 5 pounds of spine. Then light, medium and heavy weight arrows in each of those spine ranges. So, carbon opens up a whole lot of money that would otherwise be tied up in arrow inventory. No wonder dealersspeak glowingly ofcarbons. They're not necessarily the best arrow they could sell, just easier on their profit margins.

No blame to them! But also no blame to their former customers who go on-line to buy their aluminum arrows cheaper and get them delivered right to their homesfaster than the shop could order them in.

Carbon does not make a 'better' arrow than aluminum. In many respects, consistency in spine and weight for example, they're not as good. As others have said, ACC's offer the best blend of both types, but aluminum does not deserve to be ignored or allowed to go extinct. It makes a darn fine arrow.

Personally, I don't plan on ever shooting aluminum or carbon again.I'm in love with stickbows and wood arrows and intend to shoot them until I can'tdraw a bowany more.

Old 02-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Where do you get the "best of both worlds" and who makes them? I can't get a single arrow to fly the same on my crossbow. I got four arrows with my Horton crossbow and their carbons. If I shoot the same arrow it will fly to the same whole each time, but when I use one of the others it's off by 3-4 inches.

Does Easton make them? The Pro at my local bow shop said to get Easton 2117 but was told on another thread that's the size of the arrow.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

He's referring to Easton A/C/C. IMHO, there is no better arrow made. Don't see why they wouldn't work out of a crossbow. Check em out at www.eastonarchery.com They are a tad pricey, but well worth it. I switched to those about a month ago and noticed an immediate difference.

Old 02-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

Well I looked them up and their for compound bows. Can they be cut down for crossbows or do you have to stay with a specific type?
Old 02-26-2006, 12:41 PM

Yes, they can be cut to whatever length you need. Admitedly, I have no experience with crossbows, but I can't imagine it would be any different. Just a much shorter arrow. Check with your pro shop to double check. I'm sure they'll work.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ACC's will work, but they'll sit down in the track too far to put any helical or offset on the fletching. You'll have to fletch them dead straight and that won't help the accuracy a bit.

I'm also pretty sure they don't makehalf moon bolt nocksto fit ACC's. If your Horton uses those, you're probably outta luck. If it uses the regular flat end nocks, then you can just use a regularinsert instead. Just be sure not to screw the broadhead into the wrong end though.

Quick Reply: Carbon vs. Aluminum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.