Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much are deer willing to sacrifice hearing

Old 10-22-2002, 06:26 AM

Default How much are deer willing to sacrifice hearing

My favorite spot backs up to the interstate. The area we have been hunting is 4-500 yds from it and the interstate noise is tremendous. All indications are that the deer are using a pine thicket in some bottomland near the interstate for bedding. The stand sites we've used so far have only yielded intermittent doe sightings. I have been reluctant to go too far toward the suspected bedding area for fear of ruining it. Have you guys had any luck near an interstate? I would have thought that the deer would choose something less noisy to bed in, so they don't lose the advantage of hearing predators. Obviously it could work in my advantage because they can't hear me and vice versa. Any advice?

The most important bloodtrail leads right to the foot of the cross
Old 10-22-2002, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How much are deer willing to sacrifice hearing

Any constant noise or normal noise deer will adjust to, I have seen them on airports, train tracks and highways. They learn that the noises associated with a car, plane or train on the move are not a threat. Now if they hear a car stop, they will go on alert and are just as leary and noise consience as deer in the country away from all the noise. They know what is a threat and what isn't. I have hunted near interstates with success and an airport to boot.

How far are you setting your stand from the bedding area and how far is the bedding area from the interstate?

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 10-22-2002, 10:53 AM

I figure the thicket begins less than 100 yds from the interstate. It is probably 100 yards wide, then hardwoods again. I was planning on setting up 50 to 100 yards in the hardwood past the thicket, which puts me around 200 yds from the interstate. The area is elevated over the thicket. Lots of trails around. I'm just going to try an area with crossed trails and some acorns this evening, and see if I can spy out anything better from a treestand.

So it is really a change in sounds that is an alert key for the deer rather than just any sound?

The most important bloodtrail leads right to the foot of the cross
Old 10-22-2002, 11:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-23-2002, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

One more suggestion, if there are hardwoods between the thicket and the interstate and the wind is right you may want to set up on the interstate side also, I think you will be pleasantly surprised, I have popped more than one in areas like that, because most hunters think it is to noisy for deer to be there, think about the number of deer you see road hit along an interstate.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 10-25-2002, 02:49 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]