Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

i need a good scouting cam for under 200 or less?

Old 02-20-2006, 07:37 PM

Default RE: i need a good scouting cam for under 200 or less?

I wouldn't even think of a 35mm these days, unless you are going to go and check it everyday. Buddy still has one and he has to change film every two days. So 45 minute drive to lease, get out and 30 minutes to get to stand, 10 minutes to change film, and back we go. And for 100 dollars, you can get the Moultrie 100 for anywhere between $70 and $100 at Wal-Mart. On my Cuddebacks, I usually get anywhere between 250 and 850 pics and don't have to change batteries. Here are a few of my pics from my Cuddeback...http://www.hunt101.com/showgallery.p...12&cat=500
Old 02-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

For $200--I guess you know that you'll get what you pay for. The Cuddeback, Deer Cam, Vigil, Wildview and a few others will run you over your budget.
If you can get someone to build you a homebrew you can get quite a good rig for the $200. Maybe you can visit, RDHC.com and see what they offer on homebrew cameras, as there they show you how to build these trail cameras and also some members offer the components for sale along with the instructions for building/assembly.
If time is a factor--and you choose to buy one that's ready to go, then like some members have said already, the Moultrie's aren't bad. The Game Spy 100--1.3 megapixel or the Moultrie Game Spy 200,3.0 megapixel will do the job. Presently I'm testing the Moultrie 200. The flash is intense, very bright indeed, unfortunately the 'trigger speed' needs some improvement and there is also no option for adjusting the sensitivity, a down sidefor the camera.
However for a trail camera under $200--it does get the job done.
And, having experienced a year like I did in 2005---there seem to be MOREcriminals lurking in the woods. So for me this has put a spin on the "value" of a camera I am comfortable taking a risk on andat the same time creating a temptation for those in our midst with no morals, integrity and very "sticky hands".
So, it does seem like a good idea to keep the cost down.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:36 PM

i have used alot of different cams and i know you have only 200 dollars. but i would really look at the cuddebacks.you can get a 1.7 for about 300 dollars and the trigger speed is awlsome. there is some good cams out there.make sure you check the trigger speed before but one. i got tired of see deers butts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!