Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you weight your arrows?

Old 02-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you weight your arrows?

Do you weigh each and everyone? If so do you group them into same weights? Isure do!I want all my arrrows (I build my own) to weight no more than + or -one grain of my desired weight. For example right now out of my Switchback I am shooting Gold Tips XT's 7595at 29"fletched with quickspins and tiped125 grain fieldpoint/broadheads. My combined weight is 450 grains, I willallow 449to 451 but no more or less than that for either my hunting or practice arrows. Ifa arrow doesn't meetmy standards and there seems to be always one or two that don't out a a dozen.I don't junk the arrow but mark it for a bird and small game arrow or a long shotrisky 3-D arrow where there is a good chance of loosing/breakinga arrow.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you weight your arrows?

I weigh the arrow and knocks and feathers and points. want to get everything as close as possible.[8D]
Old 02-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

have to shooting 3-d. Plus everybody asks about it at tournaments anyways.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess it is what my shrink says obsessive compulsive, i say it is anal retentive, but I just want everything as close as possible so it doesnt matter which arrow I grab it will fly pretty much the same! [8D]
Old 02-17-2006, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's good to pay attention to details and if keeping your arrow weights within a +/- 1.0 grain range helps your confidence, I would say keep doing it. For those of you who don't, however, 2 grains difference between arrows will absolutely not result in a measureable difference in the impact point even shot from a shooting machine let alone an archer so if you are not so inclined to be so maticulous I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yepper pretty much figured it wouldnt matter, guess it gives me something to pass the tiime during the long, cold, deep snow winters of Northern New York (or pass time when I am deployed)[8D]
Old 02-17-2006, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I weigh them, but if they are off there really isn't too much I can do about it.I have the arrows made for me. I get pretty lucky and the batch of 6 usually has a range of only about +/- 2gr. When the average is 528 though, two grains doens't make too much of a difference.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Several grains in difference doesn't mean a hill of beans, the best pro shooter in the world cannot shoot the difference in 5 grains. Think about what 5 grains does to speed, what 1-2 fps and our arrows don't travel a whole second so that's split into fractions of seconds at target distances....it's what, millimeters and again, the best pro in the world cannot hold that still... But yes, I weigh my arrows....

Old 02-17-2006, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rob is correct.......although I'm pretty anal about all my arrows for both hunting and 3D weighing very close to each other in reality for practical hunting 3D distances we couldn't tell.

I was talking with a very reputable employee of a popular arrow manufacturer and a darn good shooter about this earlier this year. He told me that it would be very hard to tell the difference even over 20grs different per arrow unless you shot them from a machine at about 30 yards.......and even then they will still cut the original hole just not quite in the center of the first.

Where weight tolerances really show up is in long range shooting field/fita type stuff.

I still try to get my weight tolerances as close as I can, especially for 3D shooting but I put more emphasis on straightness and spine tolerances......fortunately all 3 of these qualities generally go hand in hand with the quality of shaft you choose and some are "guaranteed" to be withing a certain range within the bundle.
Most of the time anyway.

It sure doesn't hurt to go over every shaft with a fine tooth comb for tolerances and in a perfect world we could stand there and sort through an entire lot with accurate equipment and pick and choose our own......unfortunately we're stuck with the crap shoot that is arrow shaft buying.
That's why I always buy the best quality shafts I can , look them over hard and hold a manufacturer to any tolerance guarantees on bum shafts.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I were to encounter a 20 grain weight variability from the same lot of arrows I would begin to be a bit concerned. Not because of the weight difference itself but because itmay bean indication of sloppy control in the manufacturing process that could mean a significant variablity in spine, both axially and from arrow to arrow. To say it a different way, if the ONLY difference was weight I'd be O.K. with it but I think that that much weight variabililty could also indicate other more significant problems. Remember, manufactures often "sort" the results of a production run by straigtness and sell arrows at a premium price that conform to a tight straightness specs some times not even mentioning tolerance for spine and/or weight.

Quick Reply: Do you weight your arrows?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.