Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

v tec vs. ultra tec

Old 02-13-2006, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default v tec vs. ultra tec

basically, whats the difference between these 2 bows? which would you buy if you had the choice(of the 2). any input would be appreciated. i have to decide between these 2 bows fast.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:09 PM

Default RE: v tec vs. ultra tec

Well, I just made that choice and went with the UltraTec. For a couple of reasons. Basically, it's the same bow. The riser is the same, I believe. The Vtec has XT1000 limbs, and the UltraTec can be had with either the XT2000 or XT3000, making the Vtec about 1 1/2" shorter, ATA. UltraTec is IBO rated 310, Vtec IBO rated 305. Brace height on both is 7" and the reflex geometry is 1", also on both. So, really the main difference is the limbs, making the ATA different.

I chose the UltraTec because I am 6'1" with a 30" draw length. A longer ATA bow with a long draw length creates less pinch at the arrow, and is also more forgiving. Not that the Vtec is really too short, I just liked the UltraTec better. Oh, and not only that........we had an UltraTec hanging on the wall with about a 6 week wait for the Vtec.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

A longer ATA bow with a long draw length creates less pinch at the arrow, and is also more forgiving.
I just traded my xtec in for a protec because it is more "forgiving", although I'm honestly not quite sure what that means. Longer axle to axle and longer brace are what the protec touts. I figured, being a novice, forgiveness must be for me. Mostly I got that from reading Eastman's bowhunting book. He says go for forgiveness.

My groups didn't change, socan you explain what"forgiveness" means?

Hope I'm not getting too far off your topic [] Maybe o2bebow could benefit from the answer too.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:04 PM

I am not surprised that you didn't notice any change in your shooting. You pretty much have the same bow. Brace height is a little longer and the ATA is a little longer, but pretty comparable. Besides. being an accomplished and experienced shooter forgiveness is not as critical.

There are several factors that determine "forgiveness." The first being speed. The faster the arrow travels, the more our little form mistakes are exaggerated. Speed is affected by brace height because, for lack of a better explanation, the string is powered by the cam longer on a shorter brace height than a longer. A shorter brace height brings the string closer to the grip at it's final resting place. So, the cam has a longer "power stroke." The longer the "power stroke", the greater the speed, in most cases.

Second, ATA also affects forgiveness. Again, shorter ATA bows are less forgiving. Our little flaws are exaggerated here, as well. I don't quite know how to explain the reason for this, though. I understand why, but I just can't seem to be able to print it. So, if you have a blazing fast, very short ATA bow, it is less forgiving.

Now, in my case involving the UltraTec, it is IBO rated faster, theoretically making it less forgiving, but remember, it's longer ATA cancelling each other out. Besides, I have been shooting for years, not that I'm perfect, but forgiveness just isn't quite as important as it is for a beginner.

Again, I am not a professional by any means, but I have explained it as I understand it. I hope this helps. If not, we'll get it figured out.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:16 PM

Thanks. Believe it or not, it does make intiutive sense to me. Longer ATA is not going to notice small changes in shooting or tuning as much. Longer brace release the arrow sooner, so smallchanges are less exaggerated. It does make sense. You would give up performance for forgiveness. Same would be true in lots of things that move fast.

Here is what does not make sense . . the vtec is rated 305 fps, and the protec 303 fps by the same people. Seems like I got a "forgiving" bow without giving anything up (?) Why would any hoyt buyer not do the same?
Old 02-13-2006, 07:21 PM

Because not every bow feels the same in the hands of every archer. And again, you pretty much traded up for the same basic bow.

Another thing I forgot to mention previously......reflex geometry plays a part in this as well. The more reflex the riser, the closer the grip is to the string; shorter brace height. If the bow has a DEFLEX geometry, the grip is farther away from the string, longer brace height, slower bow, more forgiving.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

If the bow has a DEFLEX geometry, the grip is farther away from the string, longer brace height, slower bow, more forgiving.
Which was my point - my bow has deflex, long brace, while vtec has reflex, short brace, yet only 2 fps different. Did I really get a slower bow?

I'm probably getting near being a pest, so one more answer and I'll stop.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2006, 07:37 PM

LOL.....you're not being a pest. You're being inquisitive, and inquisitive makes us smarter......in theory....[8D]

To be honest....you got me on that one. In THEORY, a deflex riser should be slower than a relfex riser. But there are several other factors. Limbs, cams (which in your case would be the same), string materials, limb pockets, the design of the riser (other than relfex geometry) just to name a few. And, you DID get a slower bow, by 2 fps...... Remember, too, that marketing's job is to sell bows. But, I just truely can't give a definitive answer on that one. Well, other than the fact that those Hoyts are just plain AWESOME!!
Old 02-13-2006, 08:01 PM

Don't have much to compare to, but I sure like shooting mine. Not to mention it's a work of art. But then again, I haven't seen a bad looking compund bow.

Thanks for the discussion. Time to work on shooting. Hope 02bebow got something from the exchange.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Vipertec , and i love it , it is now the V tec i think they just took a few letters out to make it sound more high tech. but the bow is awesome , with carbon arrows and a few good accessories i have it shooting amazing. and the best part is that no matter what i blow right through deer with it. ive shot deer out to 40 yards and went right through with mechanical broadheads too boot. The bow is awesome for me , i can shoot either 4 or inch and a half vanes and both shoot equally accurate , and all i do is i shoot the mechanicals with the short ones and the thunderheads with my 4 inchers.