Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The best ELK broadhead???

Old 02-06-2006, 02:37 PM
jdb

Default The best ELK broadhead???

I'm going elk hunting for the first time this year. I would be very thankfull if I could get some tips for a good broadhead. I shoot a Mathews Q2, 70#, 260 fps. Thanks
Old 02-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Spike

Default RE: The best ELK broadhead???

Since your shots will typically be longer than those at whitetails, make sure that whatever you pick will shoot well out to 60 yds. That being said, avoid the temptation to go with any mechanical heads, as they will not perform well on elk. Some people might say that they've had success with them, but your odds of penetrating deeply or getting a clean pass through with a mechanical head are much less than with fixed blade models. My advice is to pick a sturdy fixed blade model that groups well at longer ranges out of your particular set up. This may take some more bow and arrow tuning that you're used to, but it will be well worth it when you get arrows to group at long ranges. Chuck Adams has written several articles on choosing arrows and broadheads for elk hunting. You can probably find them online without too much trouble.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:14 PM

I sure do like the slicktricks. I'd probably go with the regular tricks, which have a 1 inch cut on this extremely tough 4 blade head. The holes the tricks leave are remarkable, as well as the blood trails. Penetration will be good with the regular slicktrick. Go to www.slicktrick.net
Old 02-06-2006, 06:26 PM

The ones that shoot the best out of your bow. I think I would go with a cut on contact head such as the Magnus Stinger.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

Well, That is an item I have been wondering about myself. I am gonna look into the fixed then. EJ
Old 02-06-2006, 06:48 PM

a very good broadhead for elk would be nap's 125 grain razorbacks..there a great head..the new cutting edgerotating blade on those things are amazing..kinda spendy though
Old 02-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I elk hunt every year. Iuse Muzzy broadheads.

This year I might consider MONTEC G-5 broadheads?
Old 02-06-2006, 07:41 PM

wolf,
did you apply for wyo elk? i used montecs last year. if i would have hit the elk(instead of over shooting) i could tell you how they worked. i have a few friends that swear buy them. well huntmuleys and his bro that is all they use.
i am thinking of trying those slicktricks, i like the thought of 4 blades. we will see. later
Old 02-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Site Bouncer

Another vote for the G5 Montec's. I have only used them for Whitetail but every one was a pass through including one through the shoulder blade, out the opposite side ribbs and into the ground enough so that the arrow stayed in that position till I pulled it out of the earth. Oh,later that nightI just cleaned it off, put it on a stone to re-sharpen it and back into my quiver it went. My set up is very close to yours (70lbs 476gn arrow 266fps) and these broadheads fly as true as my field points do.

I like most, found it kinda difficult (at first) to get a shaving sharp edge. But I found that after a few passes with pressure to get the edge back, a few more with very light pressure (just enough so the broadhead doesn't slip out of your fingers) I was able to put a sharp enough edge on it so I could shave hair with it. Some use a leather strop and I believe this does thesame thing.

Great broadhead for sure but not the only good head on the market. I would suggest a full "tip to end" cut type broadhead though. You will find that these types of broadheads make the most of your bow's energy.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:01 AM

I'm going to be shooting a Morrison Shawnee, 57# @ 28" and a 625 grain arrow, probably going to begetting low 30's KE and what kind of broadhead am I going to use ?

A sharp one.

Seriously, hit the elk in the lungs and it won't matter. My choice head at this point in the ball game for my setup isa Magnus Singer I think.

For yoursetup ? Any broadhead that flies good will work.

Quick Reply: The best ELK broadhead???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.