Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lost trophy -- can anyone help?

Old 10-28-2002, 06:02 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-29-2002, 10:51 AM

Default RE: Lost trophy -- can anyone help?

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Quite a few post right now about losing deer. For anyone interested in training a deer recovery dog check out www.deersearch.org From my experience a beagle is easy to train. The website could be a big help to you if you don't know where to start.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

I went to that website and the funny thing is that a couple of the pictures have dachshunds as trackers. A couple of years ago a friends of mine shot a deer just before dark and we had trouble finding it. I called the game warden, and he said we could take a dog to look for the deer. The only dog I had was a half dachshung and half something else. She had never been trained. When we got close to the place where he shot the deer she went crazy trying to jump out of my arms. She went right to the place were the deer was shot and began tracking. She took me within about ten yards of the deer when I spotted the nice eight point. I guess my point is that dogs do not have to go through formal training to be good trackers. Many dogs are bred for that and it is in their blood. Dachshunds were bred to hunt. She had it in her all the time. &lt;&gt;&lt;