Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Axis problem?

Old 02-02-2006, 06:13 AM

Default Axis problem?

Well i have to say that since i have started shooting these arrows i have fell in love with the small diameter shafts but i have a question. I have the a dozen of the axis black shafts and a dozen of the obsession ones. On both dozens i start to get cracks on the very end of the shaft. (where the broadhead is screwed in). Is this common? Is there anyway that i can prevent this if i chose to buy another dozen this year? Thanks for your help.
Ryan
Old 02-02-2006, 08:59 AM

Default RE: Axis problem?

afaik it is not common. I've had a dozen of these now for a year and a half and have had no problem with cracks.

What I have seen is that if you overtighten the head, the shaft does seem to bulge a bit at the end.

Perhaps your inserts were put in incorrectly (the insertion tool is supposed to prevent that, but I wouldn't put it past some shops from finding their own way of inserting them that might not be ideal.)
Old 02-02-2006, 09:21 AM

ORIGINAL: buckhunter12

Well i have to say that since i have started shooting these arrows i have fell in love with the small diameter shafts but i have a question. I have the a dozen of the axis black shafts and a dozen of the obsession ones. On both dozens i start to get cracks on the very end of the shaft. (where the broadhead is screwed in). Is this common? Is there anyway that i can prevent this if i chose to buy another dozen this year? Thanks for your help.
Ryan

This is the very same reason my local dealerinstructed me not to purchase those very same arrows. I wanted the Axis Obsessions bad. He has seen those split tip results numerous times and says it is causeby the way the insert goes into arrow shaft. There is no lip on insert to pick-up extra strength by grabbing on edge of arrow shaft. All the load from impact pushes the insert in harder and flares out the tip of shaft causing it to crack. Maybe some people have the problem and some don't based on how dense their target material is, or maybe my dealer just got a badbundle for that year. Who knows,but that was enough for him to look into Carbon Tech Arrows, and since then he hasn't looked back. I went in his shop for weeks, everytime picking up the Axis shafts eyeing them, with GoldTips in my quiver. It's funny because he always watched me and everytime would say...don't even think about it. Yes he still stocks them, probably because he has to, but he knows how picky I am and he doesn't want me to purchse them. I finally kicked down and bought the Carbon Techs and they have been great sofar. They are not the prettiest arrow on the market, but once you get over that it's all good.If many are getting cracks, just think how many have tips that are not cracked, but are out of tolerance and their out there shooting them getting poor results. Something to watch for.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:28 AM

ORIGINAL: MilDotMaster

ORIGINAL: buckhunter12

Ryan

This is the very same reason my local dealerinstructed me not to purchase those very same arrows. I wanted the Axis Obsessions bad. He has seen those split tip results numerous times and says it is causeby the way the insert goes into arrow shaft. There is no lip on insert to pick-up extra strength by grabbing on edge of arrow shaft. All the load from impact pushes the insert in harder and flares out the tip of shaft causing it to crack. Maybe some people have the problem and some don't based on how dense their target material is, or maybe my dealer just got a badbundle for that year. Who knows,but that was enough for him to look into Carbon Tech Arrows, and since then he hasn't looked back. I went in his shop for weeks, everytime picking up the Axis shafts eyeing them, with GoldTips in my quiver. It's funny because he always watched me and everytime would say...don't even think about it. Yes he still stocks them, probably because he has to, but he knows how picky I am and he doesn't want me to purchse them. I finally kicked down and bought the Carbon Techs and they have been great sofar. They are not the prettiest arrow on the market, but once you get over that it's all good.If many are getting cracks, just think how many have tips that are not cracked, but are out of tolerance and their out there shooting them getting poor results. Something to watch for.
this probably why they came out with the Full Metal Jackets
Old 02-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

that's what has been happenin with those shafts.That's why I'm not fond of them, the hidden insert is a bad idea if you ask me. It lets the broadhead cut the shaft up.......I've seen it happen to quite a few of my friends who have shot them....
Old 02-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

[/quote] this probably why they came out with the Full Metal Jackets
[/quote]

Yeah that's true, but the problem with the full metal jackets is that they will bend.....because of the aluminum...it's just like what happens with the a/c/c's. They bend. The aluminum holds the carbon to the bend.....
Old 02-02-2006, 11:16 AM

I too have had a dozen (now 10) for about a year now and have had no indication of this happenning. I shoot targets several times a week, 3-D once a week, and of coarse hunt with them.
Is there a chance it's the field point you are using? I seem to remember hearing that certain fieldpoint and broadhead designs were preferred with the HIT arrows.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are useing a broadhead that uses the insert to hold the blade , Id put a washer in there , like the slick tricks uses , otherwise I can see this being a problem .
Old 02-02-2006, 01:19 PM

As a matter of fact, it was the slick tricks that i have been shooting with the washer in place. I dont think its just from shooting my broadheads though because i dont shoot them often at all. I love to just go out back and shoot. I dont know what would be wrong with my field points? They are the exact diameter as the shafts. Thanks
Ryan
Old 02-02-2006, 01:43 PM

Is it possible they were cut wrong? Using the wrong tool(s)?
Might have frayed them just a bit?

Quick Reply: Axis problem?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.