Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

broadheads & sharpening

Old 02-01-2006, 07:54 AM

Default broadheads & sharpening

I've read over several posts on this subject and thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. But on another quick subject I thought there used to be open chat on the hunting net?????? . Anyway, I personally shoot the 100 grain thunderheads, one of the few that will not plane on distant shots. I have personnally shot these in excess of a genuine 100 yards at 3d targets in the presence of friends and can attest to this. I'm not going to bash other productsbut I will say when it comes to archery equipment there is a lot of junk on the market that potential archers as well as the novice get caught up in.Archery and bowhunting has always been a challenging sport and pleasurable pass time for myself and others that venture into it . Of course, if it was easy , would you enjoy it as much??? Most of my insight comes from actual experience as a dealer/hobbiest having the opportunity to see the new products at various shows before the public eye ever sees them. My wife used to get so mad when I would have to tell some college kid that the product he\she was marketing has no value or place in the field with a bowhunter. Everybody wants to be rich, I guess , but not at my or my customers expense. Real quick on the sharpening issue of broadheads , I think the unit that I use is a "DMT" product which has diamond fragments in it. It can make a broadhead sharp enough to shave with.it is angled to accomandate most broadheads, just use a thin oil such as gun oil or perhaps baby oil ,push the broadhead across it several times and you're good to go.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: broadheads & sharpening

First off, welcome to the forums...

I prefer to simply purchase replacement blades for which ever head I choose to use.., relatively cheap for my peace of mind.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:49 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: broadheads & sharpening

I'm with Rob, I buy the replacements. You can't get a replaceable blade as sharp as they come from the factory. They are laser sharpened on a machine and there is no way we can match that kind of precision.