Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow questions

Old 01-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Arrow questions

So I went out practicing today with my new bow for the first time. I was using some old arrows a pal gave to me and I noticed that three of them were more accureate than the others. I could keep the three in a 4 inch group at 40 yards every couple of sets. I have never really shot a bow before today and that is the best I can do. Do wavy fletchings cause irregular flight? Would arrows sized for my bow help me to be more accureate? EJ
Old 01-30-2006, 01:04 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Arrow questions

Generally speaking, slight imperfections in the vanes will not cause that much of a flight problem. Even with small waves in the vanes or slight wrinkles, the arrow should still fly true.I do think however you should try to keep your vanes/feathers in the best possible shape you can.

As far as using the correct arrows, I think this is a must. Not only thecorrect length but more importantly the correct weight, size and spine. Once you have properly matched arrows to the bow and weightyou are shooting, you can eliminate itas a possible cause and therefore make it easier to pinpoint your shooting problems (if any)

Good Luck
Old 01-30-2006, 01:17 PM

Are you using carbon or aluminum arrows? If they are aluminum it is possible that the arrow is slightly bent which will affect it's flight. I used aluminum last year, I numbered them and if I noticed that one wasn't flying well I got rid of it. I just bought carbons last week, they're either straight or broken so I don't have to worry if I accidently hit my shed again.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:38 PM

"either straight or broken" That is a myth and entirely not true. Aluminums have better tolerances and quality control than most mid priced carbons. Carbon can and will go bad with use, especially with 3-D type shooting. Heat is bad for carbon arrows. It's not uncommon for a few arrows out of a dozen to be off right out of the box with cheaper carbons. This is why you number your arrows and shoot all them culling out the ones that do not shoot the same, especially when using broad heads. Carbons do stand up to abuse a bit better though.

If I shot a shed with one of my carbons I would throw it in the trash. Have you seen the pics of the carbon arrows in peoples hands? Just because they look good doesn't mean they are. They can break inside and become weak. Check your carbon arrows often, and when in doubt, use them for tomato stakes.

4 inch groups for 40 yards is pretty darn good for a beginner. I know people that have been shooting for decades that can't do that good. Shooting arrows from someone elses bow usually will not be your best bet. Getting the correct arrows (if these aren't) couldn't hurt. However when shooting with field tips they are pretty forgiving. If the arrows you are using are spined weak for your bow then slight inconsistancies in the arrows would stand out more than if they were stiffer. Accuracy with target field tipped arrows actually has much more to do with form and consistancy than it does with tuning and equipment selection. I can shoot very well with severely underspined target arrows. They just don't impact in the same spot as a properly spined arrow does. And broad head flight would flat out be scary!

Paul
Old 01-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

Hey, Thanks a bunch guys. And as well, dont be fooled to think that I sat and drilled the 4 inch group time after time. It happened one out of every three shoots (shoot four arrows go git em and do it again) and the other two times, I was 7-9 inches from farthest arrows. SO when I can afford it , I will go and get the right arrows. EJ