Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Results shooting without a peep

Old 02-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Results shooting without a peep

ORIGINAL: dohcrxl

All this passed season I was fighting with my peep.

1) At the very beginning I had a 1/4 inch peep but didn't like it because it produced erratic results. (big paper plate sized groups)

2) I switched to about a 1/8 inch peepwhich made for tighter groups but I couldn't see through it in low light conditions. (missed out on a doe)

3) I then went with a #3 nitehawk peep which performed very well but I didn't like the fact that by design, it could never stay aligned vertically and horizontally to produce a perfect "crosshair" (nitehawk users know what I mean)

4) After being annoyed with that I gave the NO PEEP by Timberline a chance. It was even more annoying because you have to first align a dot inside a circle then look up at your pin to aim all the while keeping everything still aligned.It's resultsonly aboutequalled the 1/4 inch peep.

5) Finally, I said screw all this and took everything off. So with no alignment device of any sort, I am now shooting tighter groups than I ever did with any of the above mentioned items. And, I wont have any issues with not being able to see through my peep at dusk/dawnin addition to the few fps I probably gained by removing the peep and the alignment tube. It's all about anchor point baby.

Peep-less people can I get a WHOOO HOOO!?

wait till you have a akward shot of of a tree stand.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:47 PM

Those that don't use a peep, where in your line do you put your string? In your line of sight? Just enough to see the blur of the string in your eye?

Old 02-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Dominant Buck

I think most snug it up real close ti the line of sight..... BUT... it really all comes down to a repeatable rock steady anchor and head angle. The string really disappears from the field of view after you get proficient. It's there, but you don't see it consciously. There's only the anchor and the spot. Become the arrow Grasshopper.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

I can shoot a peep just fine but I have yet to find one that is worth a dime while bowhunting. If one was made like the Shurzapeep sight only in low light plastic yellow or whatever.........I'd try it.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Typical Buck

Cougar, here is one I had on one of my old bows http://www.fine-linearchery.com/peep-UltraGlo.html#top It didn't seem to bad but I went to the Nite Hawk and it actually seems to give better sight in low light. Heres a Nite Hawk link (cabelas) http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp;jsessionid=PKKBJ25G3JSGBTQSNOLSCNWOCJVYQI WE?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21424&id=0027617 414546a&navCount=6&podId=0027617&paren tId=cat600331&navAction=push&catalogCode=Q S&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat600 331&hasJS=true&_requestid=25280
Old 02-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Dominant Buck

To me, the ones like aeroslinger shows are more of a hinderance than a help. I tried that exact one at one time. The little glow fibers are bright enough to dominate your field of vision. To me the glow/haze effect it creates makes the pins and surrounding peep fuzzy. Since I got old and have shot enough deer to make anyone happy I've come to one conclusion that works for me. IF I can't see through my peep....and ... IF I'm having a hard time with pins... it's probably past legal shooting time. Even if it's not, I figure at best I'm going to chance a marginal hit so why take the shot. There are other days. I practice in light a lot darker than I hunt. I've found for me there must be something coming into play that makes me NOT see the whole peep. My groups in poor light will still group, but they move away from the spot, especially when shooting on something without a spot....like a McKenzie deer target.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:35 AM

It's doesn't have to be in illegal hunting time to be to dark. Just being 30' up in the early morning light looking down to the dark forest floor is enough difference in light to make it almost impossible to make a good shoot. For me anyway.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:40 AM

ORIGINAL: o2bebowhunting

ORIGINAL: dohcrxl
Peep-less people can I get a WHOOO HOOO!?

wait till you have a akward shot of of a tree stand.
Yup, that's exactly why I later wrote in this thread:

"Putting out my own fire in this thread, I decided that although I may be able to shoot nice groups at the range in a controlled environment, I may not be able to do it under the pressure of hunting. At the range I'm always standing perpendicular to the target, my heart is not beating 150 times a minute, I'm not bending at the waist, I'm not turned 180 degrees to shoot. I think with all of that going on and not having anything in way of alignment, I might choke. So, I decided togo witha 5/16 tubeless peep. With this set-up I was still able to group 2" at 20 yards throughout all lighting conditions. My anchor points remain the same but now I have a lil bit of insurance in case the tree I'm in starts to vibrate."

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I'll just say, if you can't shoot with a front and rear site.... how in the HE!! can you expect to shoot better with only half a site. It's not the peep....it's the pupil Grasshopper. Pie plate sized groups with a peep aren't causedby the peep, they're a result of pee poor forum and practice no doubt. Or possibly a combination of that and other factors like set up, tune etc.
I'm with you on this one because inmost lighting conditions I was able to group about 2 inches no matter if I had a small target peep, a large5/16 inch hunting peep, or no peep at all. This actually surprised the heck out of me to tell you the truth because I thought Icould group better with the target peep which I couldn't. No peep at all produced the same results.Thing with using no peep at all thoughis that if your head isn't in the exact position everytime, even if it's a 16th of an inch off, that 16th inch will turn into a few inches 20yds down range. This is why I decided that under the pressure of hunting, I'm not sure that with my yet noobness, I can duplicate what I do at the range. I owe the animal more than that so until I find myself shooting and not thinking about the peep, I'll stick with my current 5/16.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:20 AM

Last season (my first) under turkey pressure I drew back and forgot to look through the peep! What an idiot! Missed five yards over him! Fortunately I got a second shot,kept my head, and stuck him. The 5/16 peep, even though large,gave me something to regain myself with and relax.

So I'm left with the quandary of whether I would be better off not having the peep (if I'm going to panic anyway), or keep it and just become more disciplined through practice (re: davidmil).

After reading this thread, I think keeping it wins. Even though the circle is large, I feel better with anchor and large peep. It seems like if I could discipline myself to anchor correctly without a peep, I could do the same with a large peep and have that added assurance.

Anybody else notice that page 2 of this thread does not shrink to your screen, or is it just my setup?
Old 02-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

To me, the ones like aeroslinger shows are more of a hinderance than a help. I tried that exact one at one time. The little glow fibers are bright enough to dominate your field of vision. To me the glow/haze effect it creates makes the pins and surrounding peep fuzzy. Since I got old and have shot enough deer to make anyone happy I've come to one conclusion that works for me. IF I can't see through my peep....and ... IF I'm having a hard time with pins... it's probably past legal shooting time. Even if it's not, I figure at best I'm going to chance a marginal hit so why take the shot. There are other days. I practice in light a lot darker than I hunt. I've found for me there must be something coming into play that makes me NOT see the whole peep. My groups in poor light will still group, but they move away from the spot, especially when shooting on something without a spot....like a McKenzie deer target.
I never notice that it was too bright at all. The fiber optic is actually just a green piece of plastic that snaps onto the back of the peep and it rotates so you can close the holes you see in the pic to adjust brightness. It was o.k. but I think the Nite Hawk does just as good or better. It really is impressive how well it works. Have you tried the Nite Hawk, david? I don't take shots at low light but with the old round peeps there would be plenty of light but looking thru the peep it looked dark and the animals weren'r defined. Thats where the Nite Hawk works, when there is enough light to use. When I got my new bow I shot it for a week or two before putting a peep on it and shot ok. It can be done no problem and shoot well. Just like shooting that recurve, I can shoot some good groups but still will get a few off. Even with a consistant anchor and good form I think any time you take something away, i.e. peep, you increase your chances of being off. I'm not saying a peep will make you shoot great but for a lot of people it sure helps.

Quick Reply: Results shooting without a peep

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.