Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Results shooting without a peep

Old 01-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Results shooting without a peep

I quit using a peep about 8 yrs ago after the tubing smacked me in the face at full draw on a deer. Never go back! I have no issues with accuracy either.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

My dad just took the peepoff on his new Tryton. The guy at the archery shop told him he'd lose accuracy but he actually shoots much tighter groups without a peep. But then again, he shot bows for 25 years the old fashioned way and he was a hell of a shot. I'm going to remove mine and just use a kisser button to see how it works. My peep forced my head into this uncomfortable position that I could never get used to.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:20 PM

I'm fairly new to bowhunting and I started shooting without a peep. It feels natural to me but I don't know any better.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

dohcrxl...One thing that's nice about getting "older" is you know what really works best for you....I started bow hunting in the 60s with a Bear 45lb recurve, shooting instinctive and with fingers...I now use a compound bow and two sight pins, set at 15 and 25 yards...I still shoot fingers and have never used a peep....I just anchor on the corner of my mouth, feel the string on my nose and line up the sight, works every time...I guess peeps and releases work for some people, I just feel like if I'm not feeling the string between my fingers, I may as well be shooting a crossbow.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

I got a recurve not to long ago and am still practicing w/o a peep, sight, etc. Pretty fun. I do have a Nighthawk peep on my compound and love it. Its the 2nd one I've had on 2 bows and have never had any trouble whatsoever. I'm not sure what you mean by "crosshairs". The design of the Nighthawk is to eliminate distortion from light diffraction, not to use it as a crosshair. I don't see a "crosshair" when I look thru it, it just looks like a peep but with better light. I used a kisser when I first started but I use a face mask when hunting and can't really feel exactly where the kisser is so I don't use them anymore.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:48 PM

I've never tried shooting without a peep, but it has bothered me in low light situations. I guess you'd really have to make sure you have a consistant anchor point.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

The first thing my proshop did to my first bow (bought it used)was take the peep sight off, Ihave never shot with a peep.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:51 AM

ORIGINAL: aeroslinger

I don't see a "crosshair" when I look thru it, it just looks like a peep but with better light.
I meant that when you look at it while the bow is at rest, you see what resembles a crosshair. The nitehawk by construction design could be made much better. It's pretty much a 3/8 by 3/8 square that has the edges rounded off. The grooves where your string slides into are also too big and allow the peep to slop around a bit. When you look thru it at full draw, you'll noticethat the box you see is not perfectly aligned straight up and down or left and right. That's what bugs me about the nitehawk.

Putting out my own fire in this thread, I decided that although I may be able to shoot nice groups at the range in a controlled environment, I may not be able to do it under the pressure of hunting. At the range I'm always standing perpendicular to the target, my heart is not beating 150 times a minute, I'm not bending at the waist, I'm not turned 180 degrees to shoot. I think with all of that going on and not having anything in way of alignment, I might choke. So, I decided togo witha 5/16 tubeless peep. With this set-up I was still able to group 2" at 20 yards throughout all lighting conditions. My anchor points remain the same but now I have a lil bit of insurance in case the tree I'm in starts to vibrate.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

I guess we are talking about the same peep. When you look thru the nite hawk at draw, your eye is so close to the peep you can't really tell its not a regular peep. You are basically looking thru the center of it and the slot cuts are only to diffuse the light diffraction. I've had several peeps from the tube aligners, different sizes of round ones, and even one that had a fiber optic insert and hands down the nite hawk is the best. I read about it a few years ago and found them at cabelas. My friends have also switched to them. If you are going to use a peep, IMO, its the only one to use. It really is amazing how much mo' better you can see in low light. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21424&id=0027617 414546a&navCount=2&podId=0027617&paren tId=cat600331&navAction=push&catalogCode=Q S&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat600 331&hasJS=true
Old 02-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Dominant Buck

TSk Tsk tsk tsk.... I've heard it all to often and before you know it... they're looking for another quick fix. I'll just say, if you can't shoot with a front and rear site.... how in the HE!! can you expect to shoot better with only half a site. It's not the peep....it's the pupil Grasshopper. Pie plate sized groups with a peep aren't causedby the peep, they're a result of pee poor forum and practice no doubt. Or possibly a combination of that and other factors like set up, tune etc. GO ahead and experiment for that quick instant fix. I can tell you it's not taking off the peep in your case. If you say I can't see through a peep that's one thing. It can be made bigger and still shoot tight nock busting groups if the shooter does his part. An accomplished archer can shoot the tight groups with anything and NOTHING. An accomplished barebow shooter can bust nocks just like a peep shooter. BUT, he must do his part with tuning, practice and FORM FORM FORM.

Quick Reply: Results shooting without a peep

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.