Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
A mature buck on public is awesome no matter the score!
23.08%
Only if the buck will net POPE&YOUNG!
2.56%
Bigger is better no matter what land it is taken on!
0%
A 140" buck is the same no matter if taken on private or public!
5.13%
Any public land hunt would be good harvest or not!
69.23%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Would you like to see public land hunts on video?

Old 01-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Would you like to see public land hunts on video?

Yeah, Id like to see these high dollar jokers deal with the conditions I have to and do alot better. I am sure they could do much better than me, but at least that way I could learn a bit about REAL hunting. EJ
Old 01-30-2006, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, I live in Western PA and there is a local company Penn's Woods that does a lot of this. They hunt primarily in PA, WV, MD & OH and most if not all are on public or private farms (not ranches or high fence areas). They do occasionaly go to the midwest or Texas and use outfitters (and with those I have no idea what these places are like). They do however claim that there are no high fences involved.

The cool thing about it is they are taking your typical Pa buck or doe. They push a lot of their own products but that is their business so they need to push it to make a few bucks. Also, not every hunt is a harvest, they show a lot of misses and mishaps, just like it happens.

Typical show is 3 hunts. If you get a chance to catch it, locally it is on Fox sports Pittsburgh but I think they also have some other channels they show it on.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hell yeah. I would love to see those 'professionals' try and bag a deer on public land. It could be done, but not as easy as they have it now.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

YES!!!!!!!!
Come on "Real Tree guys", come on "Drury Brothers", etc.... I challenge you... Bring all your video equipment and cameramen and producers and crew, and come on out to the public land WMA's in Virginia - better yet, come on out on a Saturday!

You won't see any high fences or bait piles either, unlike some of the hunting videos out there now. [:'(]

Old 01-30-2006, 08:47 AM

A friend of mine just e-mailed me this link. It's an interesting topic. I co-own Northwoods Outdoors TV on the Sportsman's Channel (northwoodsoutdoorstv.com). I have been on both sides of the fence (literly). When we first started filming we did all Maine and NH hunts. We took all Public land bear, Turkey, deer and Moose. Most animals were trophy quality except for the deer. We shot a lot of small bucks and does on tape. Most people wanted (or at least the vocal ones) us to shoot bigger bucks on tape. We needed to get good footage to help sell advertising. The preussere to pay our bills turned us to the dark side. We did a preserve hunt for deer the following year. We did however still take some big bucks that year in SK, Iowa and the Carolinas. As well as some big bucks here in Maine we did not get on tape. I will be honest, it was kind of a guilty pleasure to see so many big bucks. However it did not feel right. We pride ourseves on trying to be a show for real people. We all have jobs and the same limitations as our viewers. These days we do all our bear, turkey and moose (we took the new state record on tape last year) hunting here in Maine, NH, and in close by New Brunswick Canada. We do our deer hunts fair chase, but we do travel to higher % locations. We deer hunt in Iowa, PA, SC, and in TX. The probelm is the filming part. We hunt the hell out of Maine and NH. We have taken some really nice deer up here, but never got it on tape. You might have to hunt 4 weeks to kill a nice deer up here. It is hard to find a person to give up thier season to follow you arrond for 4 weeks to get helf a show. You can go to a place like Iowa and hunt 4 days and roll tape every day and probably get a nice buck on tape. Trust me, I wish I had some of my Maine deer hunts on tape. I have felt the pressure to get tape, but I don't think a show needs to sell out. We hunt public land here and fair chase on the road. This is the result of lessons learned. I hope this gives a little insight about how it works from this end. I will certianly keep the comments on this thread in mind for how we operate.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the post "ccobbett" it's interesting to see it from that view.

Keep putting out the good work!!!
Old 01-30-2006, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bucks are bucks. Public lands can be rated so differently from state to state.