Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any Spot-Hogg users?

Old 01-29-2006, 04:09 PM

Default RE: Any Spot-Hogg users?

Gut,

The pins are easily removable so you could make a 5 or 7 pin into a 3 and have back up pins.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

Westslope-

Do you the Spot Hogg? If so, is it worth the money as they look pretty expensive, at least on the website. What do they retail for at stores?

I have an HHA which I am very happy with. Single pin that is easily adjustable, very bright, and well built. does the Spot-Hogg have very bright pins?

Old 01-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did you get the vertical adjustment taken care of?
Yes, I slid the peep up my string, and that corrected that... (I'm probably anchoring just a slight bit differently than normal with this bow as its currently got the 28.5" mods installed; the 29's are on their way. I've shot a 29" draw length for years)

Believe it or not, after taking that second pic, I've had to swap the setup back to the way it was in the first pic! I ran out of adjustability the other direction this time! It just doesn't make sense, and I'm gonna play with it a whole bunch more; I'm just running out of daylight tonight.

As far as liking the sight... Yes, this thing is built like a tank! Seriously, it's so much more infinitely micro-adjustable than anything I've ever seen, with so many features like 2nd and 3rd axis leveling, as well as a vertical aiming wire and bubble level... and it's so solid, I can hardly believe it. Yes, they are extremely expensive, but most of the top-of-the-line sights are over $100 now, so when you think about that, and start realizing just how much more you get with this one, I think it's worth it...
Old 01-29-2006, 07:00 PM

Gut,

I have several Spot-Hogg's and just haven't found another sight (IMHO) that matches up. Greg lists a bunch of the great features in an above post. Another thing I like is the ability to customise the sight either with a lens, different size pins (.019-.039 fiber or straight steel), a light or sunshade and the ability to be able to change sight pin assemblies without having to resight in.

The pins (again IMHO) are perfectly balanced between being too bright and not bright enough. I find that some of the other sites I tried with the huge fiber coils were so bright at times I could barely see past them or they just totally washed everything out. I have found these pins to be bright enough that I could see them right to the last minutes of the evening hunt (.029 pins) and yet are not too bright in the middle of a sunny white winter day.

As for retail cost I honestly haven't paid attention as I haven't purchased one for a while (plus I'd probably screw up during currency conversion).

Are they expensive? Maybe. Do you get what you pay for? Most definitely.

Old 01-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Another great thinng about the site(if you're in a state that allows them) is that the sight light and bracket that you can buy for it is great. In fact, Len covered over my bulb with a magic marker to kill it it was so bright. Even blackening the bulb it still lights the pins great.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Greg, I use the same Spott Hogg sight as you and have run in to the same problem. I just about run out of adjustment in one direction, so I move the sight to the opposite side of the extension bar and have the same problem in the opposite direction. As a matter of fact I just swapped the sight to another bow on Saturday to get set up for 3-D and guess what? Same problem. I'm thinking of putting some type of spacer between the sight and the riser. I'll place the sight on the left side of the bar (as viewed while aiming), and use the micro adjust to bring it as far right as it will allow (bow will be sighted in at this point).The spacer will bring it even further to the right which means I will have to adjust to the left to be properly sighted in, and this should give me adjustment in both directions.
I'm close to confusing myself now so I'm going to quit explaining.

Old 01-29-2006, 07:54 PM

Gut Check, yeah, the vertical on my sight is one tick mark above dead center. Haven't seen a 3 pin, like you've seen on their website, the 5 pin Hunter and the Seven Deadly Pins sight.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

c-woods, I'm glad to see it's not just me! I've about driven myself batty with this thing today...

It literally doesn't make logical sense to me while I'm holding it and looking at it... When I've got the pin housing attached to the right side of the bar, I have to adjust all the way out so I that I've only got one tick mark left, like such:

Now... what's driving me batty is you can see the thickness of the bar that I'm screwing it into (thebar on the left which is actually a part of the piece the tick marks are on). So -- I would think that moving the pin housing to the other side of that (thus, placing it on the bar's left -- like Aussie-guy had me do) would mean that once you turned the micro-adjustable Allen wrench back the same distance that the bar is wide, it would be exactly right! But, I haven't been able to do this; when I move the pin housing to the left side, I have to go all the way to the end of the tick marks on the left to get it close... [:@]
Old 01-30-2006, 12:34 AM

Ok...I tried my best to stay out of this full circle adjustment. I was hoping the experts here would lead you in the right direction.

The reason it goes to far the other direction is because you are actually moving the sight housing .480 to the left not the .240 that is required to center your adjustment with the 2006 BowTechs using this sight. Look at the sight and how it is engineered closely. You will see what I'm talking about.

In 2005 BowTech had a problem getting enough windage from arrow rests so this year they fixed that problem, but now you have a sight favoring one side. Pick your poison. 2007 here we come.

If you want it perfect you need to machine off .175 total.It would be best to machine .0875 from each surface and get shorter allen screws, but this will make a strong sight weak.

On a positive note, I can dial my bow all the way down and shoot stiffer arrows than required and still have half a tick mark left of adjustment...point being I don't think you're going to have an issue with running out of adjustment unless your shooting Safari arrows out of your bow at 62 pounds.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Greg, with our setups the sight needs to be right where the threaded piece is on the mcroadjust device. It has nothing to do with the bow in either of our cases (my bow is a Darton), we're just unlucky enough that with the bows tuned we need are sight placed exactly were the threaded piece is as I stated above.

It will take approx. 1/4'' or the .240 inches as stated by Mildot to get my sight centered. So as I stated in my earlier post I will put a spacer between the sight mount and riser to take care of it. I found a piece of 1'' wide by 1/4'' thick aluminum in my scrap metal stash that will work perfectly after drilling a couple holes. I suppose the mounting bolts will have to be a little longer also.

I would also like to state that I am not putting the sight down. Its without a doubt the best sight I've owned.

Quick Reply: Any Spot-Hogg users?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.