Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Has anyone used tree climbing spikes?

Old 01-27-2006, 06:44 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Default RE: Has anyone used tree climbing spikes?

I'm a power lineman and I would say the same thing the phone man said. Don't use them unless you really no what you are doing. Climbing isn't for everyone and takes alot of experience to do it. Good luck
Old 01-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

qzq, I climb trees for a living and use spikes several times a week. I only use them when I'm "removing" a tree. The spikes I use are longer than those so I get through the bark and into the cambium for a positive grab. I wouldn't suggest using those things. And yes, used often enough on the same tree,they could easily kill it, and maybe you.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't use them either....... has to be tough on legs, and it seems easier to slip or miss. I will stick with my climbing ladders!
Old 01-28-2006, 07:29 PM

Spikes are the ONLY way I'd hang stands...I don't find them difficult to use, and it beats the heck out of luggin' sticks around. I like to be very mobile, and they're great...if I do put up a stand in a location I plan on using more than a couple times, I will put up my sticks. I couldn't tell you what brand my spurs are...I've had them for about 15 years, and they were given to me...they're professional grade spurs...had a relative that worked for the power company. I have two sets...tree and pole. Most of the trees I climb I can use the pole spurs, but heavy barked trees need the tree spurs. When I go out to hang stands, I wear a lineman's belt...more comfy than my safety belts/straps.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Typical Buck

Those cheap sport climbers hurt your ankles like crazy and every year they hurt worse until they quit hurting when they just lay around on the garage floor from then on.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:07 AM
neb
Typical Buck

The biggest thing if you can have someone show how to climb and the things to do and not to do. It really isn't that hard but need to work with your climbers would be important. Climbing poles is a very safe thing if you know how and would be for trees as well. I would try to find a good set of climbers and like one post said those cheep setscould give you problems. You should have a set that supports all the way to the knee. Again it is a safeprocedure but practice and have someone help you at first.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:15 AM

no ive never used them
Old 01-29-2006, 10:01 AM

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

I agree they don't look very safe. Just wondering if anyone has actually tried them....
LOOKS A LITTLE RISCKY BE CAREFULL
Old 01-29-2006, 12:35 PM

I tried those spikes when they came out years ago and I did not like them either. For one thing the spikes are too long for oak trees. Looks like they made for trees with a thick bark like a southern pine. I have to say that was money wasted.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Ive only used them when chopping trees but as long as you have your safety rope around the tree and you really dig your spikes in its all good

Quick Reply: Has anyone used tree climbing spikes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.