Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Okay, I shot the Trykon tonight.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Okay, I shot the Trykon tonight.

I was in Bloomsburg, PA for the Early Bird Expo Outdoor Show tonight working the River Valley Game Call booth. There was a local dealer there that carried Hoyt, Bowtech and Mathews and my good friend shoots through his shop so I walks over and talk bow talk (which I love to do). So I picks up the Mathews Switchback...yeah I'm liking the feel. I've always hated Mathews big wooden grips and they've finally changed this with the Switchback...so I'm liking it because I'm used to Hoyt's smaller grips...I couldn't pull it back because he puts tiewraps over the string/cables to prevent drawing but I'm holding it up and I'm liking it.....

Next I pick up the Bowtech Tribute and I'm really liking this bow too, feels similiar to the Switchback and I'm liking it but I can't draw it....and I pick up the Allegiance and yup, I'm liking it too.....

Next I pick up the Trykon and yup, I really liking this bow too but again, I can't draw it because of the tiewraps. I asked where my friend was and they said he was shooting in the contest and I asked which bow and they said the Trykon...now this surprised me cause he was a diehard Mathews shooter prior to this shop picking up the Hoyt line. I told the owner I'd be coming out and shooting all 3 lines to compare them head to head and decide which line was going to be my new bow....

I watched my friend shoot his Trykon in the tournament and when he finished he was leading the pack in 1st place for the day...good shooting. I've read here that some complained about the twang of the Trykon, this wasn't the case with his bow....I watched him shoot and from behind him I was impressed with how quiet it was after reading it was loud. I will admit that the Switchback shooting next to him was quieter. But both were very quiet especially next to the PSE that was there to and another Mathews and Bowtech were noisier than the Trykon and Switchback but not as much as the PSE....of course all this could be due to accessories and knowledge....

I said to his wife not to let him run off until I could draw his Trykon. He then brought his bow over to me and asked if I wanted to shoot it, hell yes I said. so off to the range we went. There were tournament shooters so I headed down the lane not to disturb them. When the all clear was given I draw the Tyrkon....very impressive and I don't get where some have complained about the harsh draw when hitting the peak through the valley, I didn't have that problem but I'm use to Hoyt cams....He had his pin set at 25 yards so I hold the pin just under the X in the dot paper 20 yards down the range....the release was a suprise and the arrow was about 1.5 inches dead center just under the X. I was very impressed with how quiet, smooth and absolutely no jump what so ever...again, this surprised me because of what I've read here....again, could be accessories but this bow was incredible and I haven't been impressed with the new Hoyt line since my '01 Hoyt VorTec.

The second shot I held low the same spot and hit dead center in the hole I had hit prior...turns out his 25 yard pin was dead on 20 yards for me...again, I was impressed with this bow and how I shot it..

My next step now is to go out to the shop and shoot it heads up against the Switchback, Tribute and Allegiance.

I asked my friend what put him into the Trykon when he was really pumping up the Switchback because I said I was considering the Mathews....he said it was going to be real difficult decision for me between the 3 lines because he loved all three and I was suprised to hear him say it was because of speed. He was getting more out of the Trykon with exact setups between the Switchback.

No doubt I'll let you know when and what I decide.....All three are top notch bows and it's going to be very difficult but as soon as I shoot them, it'll rule out what I don't want and what I want.....I'm kinda excited. [&:]
Old 01-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Okay, I shot the Trykon tonight.

I'm kinda excited. [&:]
I'm kinda excited for you, buddy!

I'm one of those that said the Trykon sounded like a tuning fork going off in my hands when I shot it. Now, I've heard that the XL is quite a bit better in that department, and I bet some accessories would have cleaned up the Trykon I shot. The speeds the Trykons are generating, however, are impressive.

If grips are big deciding factors for you, you're gonna love the BowTech grips. I made mention of it at the very bottom of my post about "Look what came in today...", but they are absolutely some of the best grips being fitted factory-wise out there right now.

Enjoy your shopping experience; it's one of the most fun times in any product's lifecycle: the actual choosing of that product!
Old 01-27-2006, 12:59 AM

The numbers I have been seeing on my Trykon are pretty impressive.

At roughly 55 lbs. I am seeing an average of247 on the Chrono.

That is hurling a 380.55 total grain weight Gold Tip 5575 at the target.

At 50 lbs. I wasaveraging232. So a 15 fps jump is pretty fast for only bumping the poundage 5 pounds.

I can't wait till I bump the poundage up again. 60 lbs here we come!!! I am hoping to see close to 260 then.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

AHHH..... Tis' the season for a new bow I am happy for you that you are out scoping out all the new technology and I hope you find that bow that is just perfect for you.

As you said and most people look over when shooting. Noise and vibration as long as they are not in excess really isn't that hard to tame with the outstanding products offered by simms and various other companies.

I think finding that bow that holds and aims just right is much more important then one bow having slightlyless buzz in hand after the shot.

The Trykon I shot, I had much the same reaction as you in one aspect but not the other. The draw cycle and valley didn't bother me. The one I shot did have pretty noticeable string twang even with the new string silencers andthat I could feel in my hand after the shot. What I disliked about the bow is in my hands it felt very top heavy and rolled to aggressively after the shot for my liking.

Best of luck picking your perfect bow!
[/align]
Old 01-27-2006, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

A fiend of a friend put an STS on his Trykon and the string twang is now gone.....
Old 01-27-2006, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

No twang with my Trykon and Ive shot it with different stabalizers, sights, etc ... Like its been said a zillion times, its what feels best in your hand when you shoot them.The good news is you cant go wrong buying a Bowtec, Mathews or Hoyt as long as its comfortable to shoot, period, end of story.

I will say my Trykon set at 70#'s is shooting super fast, and I mean smoking compared to other bows Ive shot, currently own and chrono'd against at the same #, using litteraly the same exact arrow in side by side comparison.Im not going to say how fast or name other brands it shot faster than, some of which were Hoyts.Somepeople get offended, defensiveor takethings like thispersonally which is crazy but it happens. I would be more than happy to own any one of the brands I named above
Old 01-27-2006, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck and have fun on your venture! Like you I am very impressed with the grip on the Switchback models. I also don't think you can beat the stock grip of any Bowtech bow.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a Trykon for the first time last night and I have to say I was impressed as well. The draw cycle really didn't bother me at all despite what I have read from others. I was also impressed with the quiet and shock-free shot as well. Certainly no noticable twang that I could tell. It's definitely a nice bow.

However after shooting the Trykon, Switchback, Switchback XT, Tribute, and my 05 Allegiance all side by side I'm still sticking with the Bowtech. My bow set up with a set of LimbSaver ultras, STS system, and 6" Stealth stabilizer is quiet, fast, and dead in my hand. I love it.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Greg, perhaps it was do to the accessories but as we know, two people could buy same product and one has trouble, the other doesn't be it bows, cars, what not. It was the XL I shot and I am looking forward to shooting the Bowtechs. By the feel in the hand, I'm in for a tough decision.

Bols, excellent.

buckeye, tis the season in deed and thanks. I didn't notice this one being top heavy, again, might be the accessories because I shoot with a very loose grip, one reason I sling my bows because I've already had others come out of my hand because of no sling, this bow stayed put which impressed me. Again, I'm anxious to shoot the Bowtechs.

Diesel77, your right about people being defensive...I don't understand it...each person, bow etc is different where you might take 3 Switchbacks and 2 of them are slower than the Trykon and the 3rd might be quicker....limbs change, etc...I've even taken 40 lb limbs out of one Hoyt one riser model and stuck them into another riser model and had them be 70lbs....I'm sure all the standards are close but.....

Cougar, I agree, Mathews have always been a good bow, I never like the big wood grip of the Mathews...I would have probably taken it off....I even took a Hoyt grip off and shot simply on the riser because I didn't like it...I am impressed with the Switchback and am looking forward to shooting it, as well as the Bowtechs...side by side with all 3 manuf....

Justin, hopefully it won't be long until I make my decision but it won't be til I put all 3 through the paces...I figured I'd take my VorTec, my ACC's and set all bows up the same and chrono, shoot and etc....I might not take the fastest, I might not take the quietest, I might not take the least vibration as long as it's the one that becomes an extension of my hand....be it the Hoyt, the Mathews or the Bowtechs....plus my friend already gave me a 5% off coupon he wrote on a card.. We'll see how they take care of me.[&:]
Old 01-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rob, good post. Good luck with your choice. Where in Pa. are you from?

Shane

Quick Reply: Okay, I shot the Trykon tonight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.