Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Okay, I shot the Trykon tonight.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Okay, I shot the Trykon tonight.

I'm not getting any twang at all off of my Trykon XL. I have it set up right now to shoot indoor spot leagues, and it shoots very well. It holds on target almost as well as the target Protecs and Apex's I have played with this year. I think a lot of these bowscoming from the factory are out of time, with some cam lean and that is what's giving some test shooters their noise and vibrations complaints. A few twists to bring the cams back in on mine when we set it up, and it felt really good.So far, the strings haven't stretched on me since then, and I have about 200-300 arrows shot.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:17 PM

From what it sounds like, perhaps the draw "ugh" (which is the best way I could describe it as well) problem with the Trykon that some of us have experienced is specific to either the standard and not the XL model and perhaps only when set at 80% and maybe exaggerated when not set up correctly (supposedly there is no "timing" on the binary cam system, right?)

I'm thinking now that perhaps had I tried a 65% letoff model or the XL version, that perhaps I would have not experienced that.

I have to say, if it wasn't for that "ugh" then I WOULD have bought the Trykon and NOT the Switchback. But there it is. Maybe this is a good question to post to the folks at Hoyt!?
Old 01-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The numbers I have been seeing on my Trykon are pretty impressive.

At roughly 55 lbs. I am seeing an average of 247 on the Chrono.

That is hurling a 380.55 total grain weight Gold Tip 5575 at the target.

At 50 lbs. I was averaging 232. So a 15 fps jump is pretty fast for only bumping the poundage 5 pounds.

I can't wait till I bump the poundage up again. 60 lbs here we come!!! I am hoping to see close to 260 then.
Just curious, what is your draw length?
Old 01-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im not going to say how fast or name other brands it shot faster than, some of which were Hoyts. Some people get offended, defensive or take things like this personally which is crazy but it happens.
The good thing about this forum is the ability to pass on "real world" performance figures as opposed to marketing brochures and well greased magazine editors. If you have actual chrono results with a Trycon or any other new bow we would all benefit from that info. Fill us in on draw length, draw weight, arrow weight as well as string add ons so we can make educated decisions. If people don't like what they see they can always go hug a brochure
Old 01-27-2006, 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: TerryM

The numbers I have been seeing on my Trykon are pretty impressive.

At roughly 55 lbs. I am seeing an average of 247 on the Chrono.

That is hurling a 380.55 total grain weight Gold Tip 5575 at the target.

At 50 lbs. I was averaging 232. So a 15 fps jump is pretty fast for only bumping the poundage 5 pounds.

I can't wait till I bump the poundage up again. 60 lbs here we come!!! I am hoping to see close to 260 then.
Just curious, what is your draw length?
I wanted to ask the same question.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:01 PM

i shot the trykon with all 3 grips they come with and found for me the high wrist grip was the most comfy. while the trykon xl is a bit more forgiving i went with the standard trykon.i like the 33 inch axle to axle a bit more. I also shot the switchback,tribute and a few other bows, what made my choice was then second i put the trykon in my hand i just felt like it was part of my body like it had been there all my life. they are all great bows and i would be happy with any of them
Old 01-27-2006, 04:11 PM

TerryM and Trembow, I am at 29". Not the XL, but the regular Trykon. Standing roughly 10 ft away from a ProChrono.

MikeyS, I feel a slight roll with Sims S Coil Stabilizer on my bow, is timing the camssomething I should be looking into? Or could it be the lack of weight with my stabilizer?

I am really not comforatable with my dealer so I would probably be looking to take it to another dealer to have it timed.

Needed to make some fill-in comments about my set-up. Forgot to mention the only add-on to the string besides the factory string silencers was a tube alignment style peep. A fairly large one, I would guess somewhere around 20 grains maybe more.

The rest of the info should all be there, Draw Lenght 29" , Draw Weight around 55# (I will get an exact number the next time I go to the shop), Only a peep on the string along with factory string silencers. 380.55 grain 5575 Gold Tip with (which is included in the total grain weight) a 100 grain field point. Bullet style to be exact.

The peep is very similar to this one

http://www.archerysportsusa.com/productImages/Peeps/STA-BRITE-PEEP-COMPLETE-3249__300.jpg

Old 01-29-2006, 06:37 PM

In regard to the "twang" some people are reporting, I had a slight twang on my Trykonwhen I first got it. Just give that new string a good waxing and it will go away...it worked for me!
Old 01-29-2006, 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Bols

TerryM and Trembow, I am at 29". Not the XL, but the regular Trykon. Standing roughly 10 ft away from a ProChrono.

The rest of the info should all be there, Draw Lenght 29" , Draw Weight around 55# (I will get an exact number the next time I go to the shop), Only a peep on the string along with factory string silencers. 380.55 grain 5575 Gold Tip with (which is included in the total grain weight) a 100 grain field point. Bullet style to be exact.
At first I thought your numbers looked a bit slow...but after backwards calculating using this formula:

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/bulleti...?TOPIC_ID=7408
You are actually beating the odds a bit.

I gotta go weigh my old A/C/Cs. My old PSE FireFlite LC (28", 60lbs) had them flying around 265fps (chrono), which according to calculations just doesn't make sense and I thought for sure they were 390 grains total with 100 grain tips.

Old 01-30-2006, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bols

MikeyS, I feel a slight roll with Sims S Coil Stabilizer on my bow, is timing the camssomething I should be looking into? Or could it be the lack of weight with my stabilizer?

I am really not comforatable with my dealer so I would probably be looking to take it to another dealer to have it timed.
It's rolling backwards right? You may need to add a little more weight to the front if that's the case, only if you don't like it rolling backwards. Changing your grip, or the actual grip on the bow may also fix that for you.

By all means, take it someplace and have the cam timing set by someone who knows what they are doing. Get about 50 or 100 shots on it, then have someone set it.