Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

nontypical racks

Old 01-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default nontypical racks

What causes them? I know that genetics play a huge role in this, but is there anything that will lead a buck to grow a wackier rack then he mayhave otherwise. I know if a buck is injured he will grow a different rack, but that will not change the genes that he passes on to the next generation. I havent heard of it, but has there ever been a study that shows if certain amounts of certain minerals will make a rack change its features? I know that a mature deer will also have more abnormalities, such as kickers and stickers and the like, but other than age and genetics are there any other variables? Also what is the difference between a kicker and a sticker?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: nontypical racks

I don't think that kicker or sticker are official names by any means and they can mean anything different than a normal point.

I know if a deer has been injured or has a defect to it's body or overall health will affect it's rack.

Also, I have had a bug get into a deers antler and make it grow weird. It made the antler "ball" up and very thick.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

other then them having body injuries effecting the rack, they could bump the rack when its in velvet..i think the ones that are bent upside down ect are from velvet injuries...running or bumping into trees...fighting early ect....i dont know what else could cause a nontypical rack...i wonder myself....i love them freaky nasty looking racks!!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

they are the best .the more twisted mass the better
Old 01-25-2006, 03:31 PM

What we call "non typical" is simply just that. They are not what we consider typical. Ever notice how a lot of non typical racks are still very symmetrical?

Yes, injuries, health and other factors can effect how a rack actually grows, but that does not affect the animals genes. Assuming the aberration was simply to the growing bone and not the pedicile or the deers body, the rack will grow back "normal", or at least "normal" for that deer, next year.

Evolution has simply favored the pitchfork shape we know today as typical. If we started shooting only the typical racked bucks, who knows? In 1,000,000 years maybe a typical rack will look like "hole-in-the-horn" or something, since they'll be the ones left to breed.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:24 PM

Other than injuries, it's just genetics. I killed a buck years ago that had a third, SEPARATE main beam grwing out between the right pedicel and right eye. It grew downward about 11 inches and still had a piece of velvet dried up and attached to it. The way it grew, I figured out, everytime the buck would lower his head to rub, the end of the third beam would actually go away from the bush or tree. So what caused that?? Who knows. I just thank the Lord for it and go on. I'ts beyond me, all the answers that is...

- cap