Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Extended Crossbow Season?

Old 01-24-2006, 02:41 PM

Default Extended Crossbow Season?

I apologize if this topic has already been discussed. A friend of mine informed me that my state is debating whether or not to extend crossbow season from the current 10 days to the entire archery season. I was just curious what your opinions were on hunting with crossbows.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Extended Crossbow Season?

This is my opinion and you will find that not all others share it with me. As far as I'm concerned if it's legal in your state (if the season is extended) then go for it.

To me (and this is where you will get the differing opinions) a crossbow is just another form of a bow. It functions the same as any other bow in that a projectile arrow/bolt is propelled by the use of a string and the energy to do this is storedin the limbs.

While it is held much differently than say a compound or traditional bow, it still shares the same basic design and conceptual structure of a bow and it should not be mistakenly compared to ANY form of a firearm. Firearms as we all know use gun powder as it's means ofpropellant.

You will find that many don't like the crossbow because to them it does not represent the "true meaning" of archery in that the archer must draw his/her bow in the presence of their quary. While that is indeed true it also opens up pandora's box and this leads to the vast differences between the modern compound bow and the bow as it was originally designed, ie: long and recurve or traditional if you will.

In the end though no matter how much the crossbow is despised and their reasonsto despiseit, no matter how compelling.....It's still a form of a bow and that can't be changed no matter how much you dislike it.

My opinion.......
Old 01-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

If its legal I'm all for it, but, I absolutely hate carrying the akward things around, I put away my x-bow as soon as I felt confident enough with my compound.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

You must have been living on another planet for sure. This topic had been discussed to death. A lot of name calling and hard feelings on both sides. The department had already passed that xbows could be used last year then many of the states bow hunters made such a stink over it that they reversed the decision until they could study on it some more.

I think xbows in regular bow season will do less damage than the bad feelings it has caused between so many hunters.

The facts are that even with a bow season that's almost 5 months long, bow hunters make very little difference in the deer harvest totals. Adding the xbow will help out a little but it still will not make much of an impact.

I don't use a xbow but have no problems with others wanting to if they choose. They are in no way lazy or less of a person for doing so. If everyone was into bow hunting for the challenge then everyone should use a long bow instead of compounds that are nothing like bows of just a few years ago. The real reason bow hunters don't want xbows allowed is they are afraid gun hunters will take up the xbow and flood "their" woods with a bunch of new hunters. That's the real reason no matter what reasons they tell you. It's all about keeping it for themselves.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:46 AM
Dominant Buck

It's just another tool to hunt with , you can use one or not as you choose .
Old 01-25-2006, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

All for it , it will get the young and old , who can't physicaly use archery gear out in the woods haveing fun .
Old 01-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

I don't really care. It gives hunters more time to get a deer and more meat if they haven't already.