Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trophy?? Caught on Cuddeback!

Old 01-23-2006, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Trophy?? Caught on Cuddeback!

I may be mistaken, but I don't think that they can just come on your land without probable cause. At least this is the case in Missouri.

And yes, they have just as much authority as police officers do.

Old 01-23-2006, 07:03 PM

I'd be on your best behavior!

Not really a good thing for you or your stand sight.[&:]

[/align]
Old 01-23-2006, 07:07 PM

If it were me, I'd contact the office and ask if somebody was there on the property. If no, show pic and ask why is this showing up. If yes, I'd still show the pic.....
Old 01-23-2006, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

well are you using climbing sticks or tree steps?? it may souind stupid but here in TN you arent supposed to use tree steps because it supposively kills the trees or stunts there growth or hwatever you want to say

Old 01-23-2006, 07:24 PM

I'd make sure that stand is chained. I have known of more than 1 of those guys who was known to take stands.

That's not knocking the profession, just keeping the honest guys honest and the losers at least lugging in a heavy set of bolt cutters. Lone Wolf's aren't cheap.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

do you have or use bait that could be an issue too
Old 01-23-2006, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Illinois they can go anywhere they want, for whatever reason. They have MORE authority than the police. For instance, a DNR officer could write you tickets for speeding AND for shooting over the limit. They can enter your residence basically for any reason. If someone calls them and says "So and so up the road shot a deer without a tag.", the DNR officer could show up and request to check your freezer, garage, etc. I am not just shooting off at the mouth. I have a friend who works for the DNR and my business partner is a part-time police officer. Just thought I could help answer some questions.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow that is totally crazy, It really makes me wonder what he was doing there.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Site Buck Guru

There is no bait or anything illegal there. I haven't taken my stands down yet and am still trying to get pics of bucks that made it through the season. Maybe I should call the office and see if there is a problem. I lease this spot until the end of Feb. I don't think there is any deadline to have your stands removed?
Old 01-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

The situation is similar in Michigan. they have more power than the State Police because they are able to arrest for a crime, but also they can take ALL objects used in committing the crime, which means hypothetically if you shoot a deer from the road out the window of the car, they can arrest you, take the weapon, take your hunting priveledges, but also take teh car and anything in it since it was involved in teh crime as well. The lack of warrant is also a very fuzzy line in MI. I guess by the letter of the rule book, they do need a warrant to search, but again, probable cause comes into question, and the DNR has a HUGE interpretation of this. I would definetely contact the department and see what he was up to and why now, well after season. I would be careful of how you approach it though. I would ask if there were any reports of any illegal activity, or if there is something wrong on your land, instead of approaching it like "What the hell was he doing on my land?" You don't want this incident to turn into a daily thing while you are in your stand.

Quick Reply: Trophy?? Caught on Cuddeback!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.