Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crimson talon

Old 01-23-2006, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Crimson talon

i have been looking at the crimson talon broadheads and wonder if they are any good. I have used muzzy and they work great but i like the way the talons look. Info would be very helpful thanks
Old 01-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Crimson talon

They are not to good in my opinion. My buddy used them and the results he had were not good. Now I'm not bashing and not trying to argue. Thought I would clear that up with the new rules and all.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gotcha i will not get them now u are just stating ur opinion and sucess not bashing
Old 01-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

I have personally used them for the last 2 seasons. They work great from a tuning standpoint and penetration. However, there are some drawbacks. 1) They are not as durable as the Muzzey's. 2) The blades are very fragile. They are basically a one shot blade and then you have to buy replacements. 3) You can't practice with them because you can't pull them out of the target since the blades are helical. If I did use them on a practice shot, I would push the arrow through until I hit the vanes and unscrew the broadhead and then pull out the arrow. 4) The blades would bend easily pulling them in and out of your quiver. 5) The ferrels (sp?) aren't as durable as the Muzzey.

Hopefully this helps. They are good broadheads if you enjoy spending $10 on a broadhead that you basically can use one time. I would consider staying withthe Crimson Talon if they came with some type of practice blade.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

I also thought they looked like good broadheads and got some last year. I was hunting public ground and shot an awesome 8 pointer at 18 yards with the talons. He was a 160 class deer! After the shot, I went and inspected my arrow and was not pleased!!! At the shot the arrow went in and came back out! The tip of the broadhead was completely broken off and the blades didn't even seem to penetrate. I followed a meager blood trail for 1/2 mile (spot of blood every 40-50 yards). The next day I continued to trail, but his path went right by a parking area and continued to go no further so I don't know if someone else found him or he just stopped bleeding) The shot looked to be good, maybe a little forward but good. I wasn't too happy. I went back to my spitfire pro series.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

They will kill game as well as any, but cost twice as much as a Muzzy or thunderhead, are not very sharp, and the blades are very fragile. They do look "cool" but at the expense of performance and price.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally like them. Gonna try the new Cudas for turkeys if I make it back from Iraq in time for Spring gobblers
Old 01-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are looking for a head that looks cool, then the Talon would work great for you! If you are looking for a tough head that will keep all blades upon exiting a criter, there are much better quality broadheads on the market!