Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

public land

Old 01-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Spike

Default public land

Anybody have tips for hunting piblic land for deer?
Old 01-23-2006, 11:48 AM

Default RE: public land

Get as far back in there as possible and scout it out. Where I hunt the deer are everywhere in the early season but as hunting increases the deer move farther back. The farthest they can go is the river which the have been known to swim accross. Good luck

Old 01-23-2006, 11:57 AM

Check your map. Go as far from any roads as you can.
Sit near trails from feed/water and bedding. Big mulies will bed out in the open sage brush and rocky slopes so don't ignore that.
And get good optics and glass, glass, glass.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Depending how heavily your publics are used :
1) Get there early for set up , publics are first come first served .
2) Go deep , most people don't .
3) Pattern other hunters as well as game , often they'll run deer right by you .
4) Use a climber or ground blind , leaving your stuff overnight is always a bad idea .
5) Don't get mad when somebody gets to "your" spot first , and they will , it's "theirs" too .
6) Confronting another armed person over a spot is never smart , move on .
7) Invest in gear that will get your deer out with less effort , an angry back always wins .
8) Carry a cell phone or GMRS radio on larger publics , getting lost can be deadly .
Old 01-23-2006, 12:54 PM

Public land is first come first serve. What I run into is you get ther before everyone else does. You get set up and the sun starts to come up you hear something. It might be a deer but wait its another hunter. He sees you but keeps walkin through anyway. People just don't care. You get there before the sun comes up or wait till the morning hunters are done.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get deep, out of sight, out in no where!
Old 01-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

on public land deer thrive for the thick stuff i dont know how many hunters ive seen sit down and watch this wide open patch of woods (that you can see for 200-300- yards) you deer well big deer atleast are going to be in places to where you can see75 yards or less if you can find a good bedding area then your in buisness.Find which way they are going out of the bedding area ( either food or water sources probably) and get between the bedding area and the food source. Easier said than done though.

Main thing really is getting out and scouting alot of hunting public land is scouting and spending time in the field.Also alot of hunting on public land is luck too.Remeber it is going to be way harder to see and kill deer on public land so try and not get too frustrated.Id like to see ol' jackie bushman or bill jordan hunt some public land
Old 01-23-2006, 03:25 PM

Me too. Do you think they will get anything?
Old 01-23-2006, 04:42 PM

Go deep, but don't overlookthe small woodlot/brushy area that most hunters would just bypass.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've read somewhere before that on average most public land hunters only go 200 yards into the woods from the road. To me that just means that the farther you walk the better your success will be.

I've got 2 stands on public land. One is a decent spot with some big buck travel. This spot is about a mile from the nearest parking lot and is up a VERY steep hill. The other stand is one of those one that is just inside the woods, but I have very good luck here since most people have over looked it. I have killed 2 nice 8 points from this spot, and my dad killed a 130 inch 10 point from this stand one year.

As I have gotten older I have taken advantage having the gift of a fairly large farm in my arsenal. Public Land is often frusturating when you see 15 trucks parked in the lot and alot of the guys don't care about you or where you are.

Quick Reply: public land

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.