Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

public land

Old 01-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: public land

i agree with deepand thick but keep an i out for areas just off the roads, i have one area that takes about 1 minute to walk. does seem to walk through in the morning and i can see the parking area as i hunt.got many does from this area but no good bucks yet
do not put up markers that lead to your stand.
people will follow drag marks to your area after a kill.try to use a dolly.
expect the hunters who got to walk all day to not care about your hunting.something i had to put up with this year .
only take your good hunting buddys to yourarea.
dont wear out one tree throughout the year.have more than one option on stand placement never no whos going to get their first.
dont expect to leave stands up very long without someone using them or taking them down
help fellow hunters drag their deer,blood trail, be friendly to a degree.watch what you say to other hunters.
be safe and dont litter leave the woods cleaner than you have entered it.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hunt the most or easily overlooked spots!!!!!! I also believe you don't have to go deep. If there are no deer "deep" you still aren't going to see them! JMO! Hunt where there's deer sign! Also spend as much time as possible in the woods!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:58 AM

Here in Northeastern PA. where I hunt (Public Land) the deer numbers have dropped big time! I used to go deep in until 2 years ago! First I only encounter 2 or 3 archery hunters that are remotely close to where I am hunting! Not many guys out this year at all! Anyways last here I only went in about 150 - 200 yards and I seen 2 of the biggest bucks I have ever seen on this public land! Of course I did not get a shot at either but I did have the pleasure of watching themand wishing I had the rifle to reach out and touch them!!!
This year I got a nice 8-Point on the first day of archery from this spot! Like I said I did always go back deep until last year! AndIam sure I still will.
This is my 8-Pointer from this year! Sure he is not a monster, but hewas to nice to pass up!

Old 01-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Spike

Thanks guys! Looks like the main common post is scout scout and scout looks like ill be in the woods until archery season thanks alot guys.