Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

public land

Old 01-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: public land

Yep, going deeper in makes the differance. I hunt public land and I see more deer whenI hunt further in, plain and simple.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Hunt in the worst conditions!!! Rain, snow, cold; these all prevent most from hunting and the deer know this and they relax and make themselves more see able and huntable
Old 01-23-2006, 06:50 PM

Most of the time the deer will move at the oddest times during the day. I have seen deer in the middle of a field feeding because they know that the hunters hunt the field in the morning and get up to go somewhere else mid morning. Deer are smart and even smarter on public land. They will usually let you walk right past them if they are bedded down and not move. My grandfathers friend was walking through a bean field and actually steped on a doe. That right there would scare the crap out of me.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

Like everyone says go in deep, and take it slow. Public deer are more spooky than farmed deer.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:13 PM

Have you noticed the common post's here? Go deep Go deep Go deep. Everyone say's go deep! Guess what everyone is doing---if you hunt by the dog gone parking area you might just have a nice surprise, I know I did!!
Old 01-24-2006, 07:36 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pickaspot IL.

Have you noticed the common post's here? Go deep Go deep Go deep. Everyone say's go deep! Guess what everyone is doing---if you hunt by the dog gone parking area you might just have a nice surprise, I know I did!!
My cousin had a similar experience on his first hunt , from the second hunt on he discovered what a rarity that really is .
Old 01-24-2006, 10:42 AM

Hunt the spots that the other hunters think are bad spots because where the hunters arent the deer are.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

I have hunted nothing but public land my whole life, and i have gotten by biggest bucks within 100 yards from the road, where i hunt the hunting pressure is minimal during bow season. As the season goes on i would say go deeper.Butabove and beyond if you are hunting on public land it is very important to KNOW the woods like the back of your hand, and how the deer move in that area. This takes hours and hours of scouting and hunting. Sorry "Ilovehunting" but i very much disagree with ur post, deer live in the best possible areas for them including things like food sources and cover. those might not be the best spots to hunt if everyone is there but the deer dont totally avoid an area with people in it. I have got many deer on nights where i have seen other hunters. Just my expierences,
Old 01-24-2006, 04:50 PM

Scout,scout and more scouting. Find food sources that no one else hunts. Thats where the does will be and you know the bucks will follow.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pickaspot IL.

Pickaspot IL., along with ilovehunting and passthrough24 said it all! IMO, they are right on the money. I've seen more 150 class bucks than I can count, within 100 yardsof a road or parking lot. Find the spot where the otherhunters are overlooking. It may be right out your back door or 2 miles deep, but if you scout enough, you can find them. It's not always"go deep"!

Quick Reply: public land

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.