Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BEARS ~ hounds or bait????

Old 01-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default BEARS ~ hounds or bait????

I should be drawn for a Wisconsin black bear hunt this coming fall. In Wisconsin, you have the option to hunt over a bait stand, or to have hounds tree the bear for you. This will be my first bear hunt and I want the most out of it. Hound hunts are cheaper and higher percentage, but bait seems to be more fun. I am torn because I want to make sure I get a bear since you only get drawin one in every six years, but I also want it to be a hell of an experience. What do/would you perfer???
Old 01-23-2006, 11:15 AM

Default RE: BEARS ~ hounds or bait????

You really can't go wrong either way. Hunting with hounds isn't normally as easy at it sounds. Some big bears go a long way into the thickest nastiest stuff before baying/treeing, and chasing through the woods the sound of baying dogs is definitely an adrenaline rush. It also lets you check the bear over really good before harvesting. Bait hunting is more similar to deer hunting in that you take a stand and wait, and often get to see more than 1 bear if in a good area.

It seems most guys fall into one of the camps. I suggest asking what type of hunting appeals more to you instead of trying to chose the option that gives you the slightly higher success percentage. You'll enjoy the hunt more. Good luck and I hope you get one.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:48 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I would prefer the hound hunt. Love hunting with dogs and the sound of a baying hound never gets old to me. Have been coon hunting behind dogs for 20 years and hog hunting with dogs for the past year. To me its a no brainer but as MA Jay said, it is personal preference.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

I have never hunted w/ hounds so I don't have an honest opion on that one. I have hunted over bait in Canada and really enjoyed it. It is as close to whitetail hunting as you will get and you will get to see the bears interact w/ each other if you have a good population in your area. I could go on & on about the stories, but I don't really care to type that much. Lets just say I sent my deposit in this morning for me & my son to go again this year and I am really looking forward to it. Personally I don't think I could possibly like hound hunting as much as stand hunting.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: krojemann

I should be drawn for a Wisconsin black bear hunt this coming fall. In Wisconsin, you have the option to hunt over a bait stand, or to have hounds tree the bear for you. This will be my first bear hunt and I want the most out of it. Hound hunts are cheaper and higher percentage, but bait seems to be more fun. I am torn because I want to make sure I get a bear since you only get drawin one in every six years, but I also want it to be a hell of an experience. What do/would you perfer???
Yeah, I also might draw a tag in Wisconsin this year. Keep in mind that bait sitters get the 1st week this fall. I've hunted both ways, and I think I liked bait sitting better. I've also heard that most BIG bears won't tree. (Not sure if thats true) Good Luck!!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 06:45 PM

It's over bait for me too!you see the animals in a more relaxed state. also the way they react to each other is very cool!If you are going with an outfitter you can sometimes go with them to tend baits, or tend them yourself if you want!! You can, send me a pm and i can give you some tips!!! GOOD LUCK check out last years bear@ wwwdoubledoutdoors.com
Old 01-23-2006, 06:57 PM

I just took up bear hunting last year and it is awesome. I have never hunted bearwith houndbut I really enjoyed my experience iwth bait. I started baiting about 2-3 weeks before the opener and it wasn't long before he started hitting it every night. I couldn't wait for the opener.

My brother in law went with me and video taped the hunt and after about 1 hour 45 min he showed up. I would have liked to wait longer but with a bad wind I hammered him right away.

I am assuming that the chase of hunting with hounds would be very excitin but when you tree him it would be like shooting one in a trap. Not really much shooting challenge.

If you can I'd bait myself and it is really enjoyable but a quite a bit of work.

Just my opinion.

[/align]
Old 01-23-2006, 09:39 PM

I know people who hunt bears with hounds, and although they do have a blast, it's definitely NOT a sure thing. It's also pretty physically challenging.

I don't know which one I'd pick. Can you do both? One day bait...the next day hounds? That would be cool IMO!

Old 01-24-2006, 08:14 AM

never hunted bear so im not sure which i would enjoy better. but to tell you the truth i think baiting sounds better to me. more like deer hunting. i cant wait for my first bear. one of these days.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:27 AM

I hunt them without either one. Scout the area like you would for deer, but, of course the sign is different. The trails are very obvious, by their width, and the scat is large, similar to a large dog. They are very predictable, once you locate one, but be wary of scent--their nose is better than a deers. Food sources vary, but acorns and berries are good starters. Look for broken branches in the oaks--thye won't wait for them to start falling.Also, look for rocks that have been recently overturned--they are looking for insects underneath.I have taken 2 in the last 3 seasons. This past year, I took one and saw 3 more while waiting to come down. The next week, I was deer hunting in an area where bears frequent, and had one come directly underneath me--got him on video!

Quick Reply: BEARS ~ hounds or bait????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.