Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tempting Offer...

Old 01-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tempting Offer...

As my name indicates, I'm currently in RI. I have someone who works with me who's family is in PA, 500+ miles from here. He took a bit of an extended vacation over the past holidays, and came back yesterday. He isn't a hunter, but he asks me today "is a 15 point buck big?" I asked what it scored, how much did it weigh, etc. He hands me a newspaper from October 9th with a pic and articlesaying the thing was green scored B&C at 193 3/8 and is expected to be in the high 180s P&Y. One article says it has the potential to be the biggest PA archery buck ever, and a second article says its one of the top 5. Anyway, the article says that the buck was taken on a private farm. It turns out that the land it was taken on is owned by my co-workers mom, oh BTW, nobody hunts there but the guy who took that buck and his dad. He said that I could hunt there if I want to... This is something I think I'm going to be thinking about alot between now and next October for sure...
Old 01-13-2006, 01:24 PM

Default RE: Tempting Offer...

What's to think about??
Old 01-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tempting Offer...

not sure where in PA that is....but i live and hunt in PA and private open land is HARD to find....let alone open private land that noone else hunts!!sounds like a dream to me.....id look into it ALOT harder before rushing down here....honestly...PA used to be known for our scrub bucks....spikes and Ys were the norm....a racker 8pt was a NICE one...anything over 1.5yr old was a monster.....now we have antler restrictions that really dont seem to work.....and a majjjjjjjjor herd reduction hurt ALOT of areas....hunting is still good in some areas....some have some nice bucks....but most arent big.....sure theres a few nice ones...and a few monsters smart enough to evade hunters all their life...the big ones only got big because they have a higher IQ then most of PA hunters! they know your there before your in the woods...and hide in the most unlikely hiding spots....we had deer that we never drove out before go THOUGH a tunnel that runs under the turnpike the other day!!! what kind of deer does something like that!?!? like i said.....you may havea verrrrrry good piece of property.....but before making the trip and all..id look into it.....look at the SIZE of the land.....whats around the land....and find out how many guys REALLY hunt that land......posted signs mean nothing to alot of guys sad to say...i wish you all the luck if you do make the trip....get online and read our laws and regs...theres some wierd ones lol....bow hunting is definently the way to go to maximize your chances of seeing a nice buck.......thats why im finally going to bow hunt next year if everything goes right!...theres ALOT of state gamelands in the state....and state parks and national forests open to hunting as well......its going to be hard to bag a big buck without scouting time...