Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

question about the switchback

Old 01-12-2006, 05:30 PM

Default question about the switchback

I am plannintg on buying the new switchback xt. i wass wondering if anybody has bought it or shot or knows anything about it. I would apprciate the feed back thanks.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: question about the switchback

I tried 1 out about a month ago, it seemed to be real dead in the
hand after the shot. I also tried out the '05 Switchback the same
day. I noticed maybe a little difference in the 2 bows but ended up
buying the '05. The '05 is a little faster and is little longer ATA.
I hope this helps.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

I have never shot one personally so can't add much other than I have heard that they are...or were having some significant problems with the limbs. Don't know if it's factual information, but maybe worth investigating if you're gonna spend that kind of cash.
Best of luck and let us know what you decide.
Craig
Old 01-13-2006, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Navy, this is the first I've heard of this on any of the boards... where did you hear that from?

I have shot the XT, and it is extremely dead in the hand... very similar to BowTech's Tribute, but not as fast and minus the adjustable modules.

It's probably the best hunting bow Mathews has come out with in a long while, IMO. If you're locked in to buying a Mathews, I'd recommend it. If you're still open to trying other bows, I'd recommend shooting the Tribute before plunking down the $700 or so to have something to compare it to.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

I'll have to dig through my stuff to figure out where I read that. It may have been on the BPS forum, but I'm not sure. I'll update if I find the source.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Yep, it was on BPS forums and this is what the guy said

"I had a switch back, I had some toubles with it. It was a great bow at first but then the groups really started opening up, Im not sure what was wrong with it... but I know something the other complaint I have heard with them is they go through alot of limbs."

Sort of vague I know, but I was only relaying what I had read elsewhere.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's cool, Navy... just hadn't heard any complaints whatsoever about that model yet, so naturally I was just curious... A lot of times individuals find it easy to hide behind the anonymity of the web and bash a particular company for personal reasons.

I'm not associated with Mathews at all; in fact, I'm just beginning a relationship with another manufacturer... I just hate to see that kind of stuff spread around if it meritless. On the other hand, the web can be a great place to gather information before making a big purchase like a new bow -- provided the sources are trustworthy.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

I have an 05 SB and have had nothing but a smile on my face the whole season. Very nice bow and durable too. I do lots of stalking and still hunting and found the cams to hold up to the abuse very well. The string also seems to be holding up really well considering all the rain, mud, and other elements the bow gets thrown into.

I would not recommend buying this bow to anyone who has not shot at least the top five to ten bows from at least four or more manufacturers. A bow is not in the name or what others review about it, it is in the shooters hand and no other, then and only then can a final judgement be made to if it is the perfect bow for you or not. I shot more than 18 to 21bows at more than 5 locations before I finally said that the 05 SB was the bow for me.

Just my opionion.

~Jeff
Old 01-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whats the axle length on the switchback??????????? Thanks.

Bobby
Old 01-17-2006, 12:09 PM

The 06 Switchback XT ATA is 31"
The 05 Switchback ATA is 33"

They also now have the 06 Switchback LD supposedly for Long Draw lengths...it's ATA is 33"

I just bought an 06 SB XT yesterday (although I think some random yahoo just called me a sucker for doing so on my other post .... weird...)

The only annoying thing is that I went with a trupeep, and it takes a good 75 shots or so for the barracuda string to supposedly "stretch-in" so that it doesn't twist anymore. After 40 shots or so it seems to have settled in well, for now, and the peep comes back almost square almost every time. Supposedly this will improve.

One other thing that I don't like is that my drop away rest has to be attached to the cable. I didn't really like having it tied to my cable slide, I like this a little less. We'll see how that holds up though.

Quick Reply: question about the switchback

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.