Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help with sheds!!!!

Old 01-11-2006, 09:40 AM

Default Help with sheds!!!!

Well as most of you knowi am after the sheds from the big 10 pointer that is coming to my cuddeback digital camera. Here is a map of the land and it is labled if you have any pointers on where to look for his sheds would be really appreciated.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help with sheds!!!!

I know this isn't much help. But where I look would depend on how much time I have. If I have a lot of time, then I would check every inch of that place, and not leave it to chance. I've found a lot of big sheds, in the most unlikely places.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are a few lines through there that look like fence rows. I would check along the edge of those if they are fence rows, or set a good day when you think the deer might not be bedded down and search the heck out of their bedding area. good luck!
Old 01-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

edges, always check the edges. The best place to look would really be at fence jumps. Fence jumps and trails leading to them would be the best bet. It also wouldn't hurt to look out in the cornfield. I've found several sheds in the middle of cornfields near my home. Good luck. Let us know if you find them!
Old 01-12-2006, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with KS. I find a lot of sheds each year and it's mostly due to time spent in woods looking.

18, If I think a big buck is using an area, I will GRID it off piece by piece and cover it like a blanket. I will take a hatchet with me and mark my grids covering the area in 20 yard passes back and forth like a type writer...Sometimes I take a friend in to help. I will show him or describe the shed I am after..I am very careful though who I take in my honey holes.

For me shed hunting success comes from 2 things..plain ole hard work, 2nd, knowing where the deer are bedding and feeding right now as they are shedding...thats it..no secrets..I walk pretty slow and really scan the area for pieces of antler...not whole antlers..often a shed is partially covered or blocked by something..

Good luck finding that bucks bones!
Old 01-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Based on what I've been told. Look for funnels and fences.....especially fences in funnels where the deer have to jump over. Alot of times the impact from them landing can jar them loose.

my 2 cents