Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fix a broken rack for mount or not??

Old 01-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fix a broken rack for mount or not??

My taxidermist who is a personal friend of mine, wants to mount this buck I harvested earlier this year but I wasnt going to only because the rack was all busted up from fighting Im guessing. I was going to do just a plaque mount but he is pressing me to let him fix the antlers up and do a shoulder mount. Do I keep the rack as it was when I harvested theold warrioror let him fix it up. He does do incredible work but part of me wants to leave the old warrior as he was and part of me is curious to see how he would look fixed up. I did get a 143" 12 pt Im having shoulder mounted also, but I would still do another shoulder mount if it was an interesting or decent rack.

Old 01-09-2006, 12:48 PM

Default RE: Fix a broken rack for mount or not??

leave him the way he is!!!! too much character in the rack and it tells the story of the buck this year!
Old 01-09-2006, 12:50 PM

DIDDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree leave him like he is. it would be really cool if you could get him in some kinda of a fighting pose.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would get the shoulder mount of him as he is. He's got alot a character as is....and it shows how much of a warrior he was.

IMHO getting a rack fixed after you shoot the deer is kind of disrespectful to the animal because it seems, to me anyways, that you are unhappy with him and want to change his appearence.

Plus everytime you look at the fixed rack....you know that it really isn't him.

That buck definitally has a story behind him and the busted up rack seems to portray him better.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:20 PM

I agree with everyone else. It gives him character. If the rack was busted after I harvested him, then I would fix it.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:21 PM

Leave him as is. I would fix a rack if something happened to it after I shot him but that's probably about it.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, leave it how it is. Shows he was a scrapper.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd say leave him as is as well, if he were mine, it'd have to be as is.

Remember last years buck, broken rack 8 or better, would have been 130 class but he'll be silhouetted/euro mount with the single broken brow on his one side.....couldn't ever bring myself to fake a rack and to me, fixing them is faking them.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I say it's what you like best. No shame or disrespect to want to have him in his full glory. It's like having a piece of antique furniture. If you like it with all the wear and defects then that's fine but if you like it better restored in a more new condition then that's your choice. It all comes down to personal preference.

Quick Reply: Fix a broken rack for mount or not??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.