Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

String Wax

Old 01-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default String Wax

I bought some Brownell's string wax when I got my bow... I have a couple questions though.

1) is this a decent wax, is there better?

2) What part of the string do I wax? The entire string including the part which runs through the cams?

3) How often should I wax?

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: String Wax

i was told any wax is good, its all preference. apply the wax to EVERY part of the string, yes that includes that parts around the cams and whatnot. apply it after every use, and rub it in good.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

someone told me to use suede leather to rub it in... Is that a good idea?
Old 01-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

Yes. Use leather. I do the longer areas first to warm up the leather so it helps melt the wax in at the shorter areas where its harder to get to.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just don't over do it! Try to get all the excess wax off your string! I have never used the leather before I just put it between my fingers and work the wax in good! JMO!
Old 01-09-2006, 05:30 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-09-2006, 08:02 AM

I have heard not to use leather. The thought process is to heat up the wax so it melts and makes it easier to get in between the strands. The problem is, too much heat may damage your string. I just use my fingers and work it in really well. If you have access to a bow press, that makes it easier to get in between the strands.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: G2 Shooter

I have heard not to use leather. The thought process is to heat up the wax so it melts and makes it easier to get in between the strands. The problem is, too much heat may damage your string. I just use my fingers and work it in really well. If you have access to a bow press, that makes it easier to get in between the strands.
Wow. That seems like you'd have to have some serious action for enough heat to damage your string. My strings have held up quite nicely. The last set I changed only because the cable was frayed and the string was 3 years old. The pro shop is the one who gave me the leather and said that's what to use. Of course maybe they were trying to stir up some string replacement business
Old 01-09-2006, 09:18 AM

I didn't say that I damaged my string. Only that is what I have been told. I haven't used a piece of leather only because I didn't want to chance it but it make work fine.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Site Bouncer

I just use my fingers. Years ago (mid 70's) when I was a kid starting out on long and recurve bows I used a piece of leather.The newer waxes of today howeverheat up and melteasier than they used to. You can still use one, but I don't think it's necessary anymore. I have found that it dooesn't take as much heat to get the wax into the string like it used to.

Quick Reply: String Wax

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.