Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Post Gun Seaon Bowhunting

Old 01-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Spike

Default Post Gun Seaon Bowhunting

Well, Saturday was the last day of the forever long gun season in Maryland. And bow season comes back in until the end of January. Soafterall the pressure from being shot at and pushed around, how long does it take for the deer to get back into normal patterns? Or will that not happen? I know they have to eat, soand I can only assume that they are not doing so until after day lightbecause I'vebeen hunting the food sources with no sightings.I have only been hunting the evenings figuring that I would catch some moving early to feed. Am I missing out by not hunting the mornings? What experience does everyone else have with the late bow season?
Old 01-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Post Gun Seaon Bowhunting

Well, My experience is from colorado and oklahoma so your area may be different but It is my experience that it doesnt take too long. I would head out right away. I would think that just a few days after then end of gun season they would begin to settle down a bit. In oklahoma this year, we took three deer from one spot opening morning, one more the day after that and then hunted it all week long after that. They were more attentive, but it was thier favorite feeding spot so they just kept coming back. Just my experience. EJ
Old 01-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

I have found that the big boys will stay in hiding for quite a while. Especially if they were hunted hard which seems to happen in my area a lot. I won't generally see a shooter on their feet during day light hours until after Jan 1 at least. Which just so happens to be after our archery season is over. ha, ha

Xtec
Old 01-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Much more nocturnal... I personally don't even try unless I have been scouting a buck well... Or just a doe. My best bet is thick, thick are around bedding places where the bucks aren't affraid to come before dusk.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

The one thing that gets them up and moving is that they have to eat! Especially when the temps are very cold! I hunted late season here in Wi and is was down right chillin' in the single digits! Bottom line is they gotta eat, so set up around food sources! JMO!
Old 01-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never had much luck in the late bow season just because all the deer have been shot at for 5 straight weeks in MD and the most of the bigger bucksgo nocturnal after opening weekend. I saw about 25 to 30 deer in one big herd yesterday while out hunting and they were definately skittish to say the least.