Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

small hunting areas

Old 01-08-2006, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default small hunting areas

I do construction work so i,m always at different areas in my state.
the other day i see this guy cutting wood across the street so i thought
this is a potential house that needs to be built.Turns out he is just cutting some firewood and doesn't plan on building on it for years.
I then asked him if he hunts and he said no he is a vegetarian but if he did
he would eat venison because it is leaner.I thought I'd ask anyway if i can hunt his land and he said sure.I immediately had him sign a permission slip.i guess not all vegetarians are bad.The lot is only 11 acres but is next to probably a 10 acre lot.I see lots of signs of deer traveling Thur and the owner says he thinks they bed down in the back corner of the lot cause one time he could see the impressions in the snow.I was wondering what is the smallest area some of you are hunting

Old 01-08-2006, 06:23 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: small hunting areas

I hunt a 36 acre tract that only has about 10 huntable acres. The rest is crop fields. I've taken 3 P & Y in the three years I've hunted it. Mainly, it is a creek bottom that runs through the middle of two crop fields. At each end of the property the creek bottom connects to larger timbered tracts. Can you say funnel!The problem with small tracts is that you have to be careful how you hunt it or else the deer will pattern you and skirt the area to avoid you. Any place you can pick up to hunt is valuable. You never know what's there until you try it.
Good luck
Old 01-08-2006, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt 5 acres in between two lakes, now can you say bedding area and funell. This is the buck I harvested this year!

Old 01-08-2006, 06:50 AM
Dominant Buck

The property that I live on is 10 wooded acres bordered by a similar lot on the right and an 80 acre lot of 50/50 woods and scrub field . I've taken 2 deer from it this year . Some of my most productive hunting has actually been small overlooked public land patches , most of which were less than 50 acres . You can find them on a topo map easily , and because they frequently abut private land that is posted in many cases they see little to no pressure .
Old 01-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt on 15 acres, with most of it being CRP.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt a real small chunk of woods, about 8 or 10 acres that has houses around it and almost always see deer. I got a huge doe out of there this season and got busted by a nice 8pt while I drew my bow.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt a small section of woods, maybe 15 acres that borders fields and a bedding area owned by neighbors who do not allow hunting.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Heck my biggest spot is 12 acres but has only 2 acres or so of woodsy swamp & I took 5 out of it this year so far. I hunt mostly suburban areas & the smallest is 1.5 acres with almost no woods. Took 2 from there so far & plan on a couple more. Small spots can be real productive if theres houses around cuz the deer simply dont have many options. Once they know about you your often better to move on to another spot but not allways. Just gotta be tricky so they dont pattern you. The spot I got the 5 from still holds alot of deer but they only walk around at night & just leave at the first sign of trouble. I started with a treee stand & when they started looking up switched to a blind. Blinda are good because if you can leave them there a few weeks before hunting the deer dont even think about them. Often you can take one & the rest dont have a clue. I'm done there for the year tho & am hunting a 2 acre property next week. Saw 6 doe & a buck in it saturday & haven hunted it since Oct.

Good luck.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah i hunt a 2 acre spot but it seems you get a LOT of big deer in little tracts of land but they dont hold in there so it will be all patterning and timing good luck i wish i could find some one that nice
Old 01-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

Rhody hunter, you read my mind!

I was thinking about posting this same question. Because I hunt about an 8 acre spot on the edge of town. Most of the big timber starts about 2 to 3 miles south of me and keeps on running south. This was my fourth year of hunting there, the same amount of years I have been bow hunting. Around here it is the only spot I can find.

Good things about it: A creek runs through it with timber on both sides. The deer seem to move some what a little before the rut and during. I have been able to get a deer out of there every year so far. It's only a 1/2 mile behind my house. The timber/creek run all the way to my back yard. So I do get a chance to see deer out there once in a while. And the main thing is that its free to hunt.

Bad things are: This property has been sitting in landlock for 30 yrs. I had to get permission from one party to hunt it and another party to get to it. We'll its been sitting so long this way, people have horse trials through there and they show up whenever you least expect it. Get all dresses up, scent free, all the warmers ect.. walk halfway out to stand and see horses going through or just get in the stand and see them. I have had people walking through, 4 wheelers, even people on the otherside of the creek walk down and shoot a gun, paintball fights. And to top that off, there is a little strip of timber that belongs to a different party. And he gave a kid permission this yearto put his stand up. So he put it in the very corner next to the creek, where what little deer I do seelike totravel.[:@] After the rutslows down and deer are looking for food they seem to move out of the area. Where I huntreally hasno food source to keep them around. The only thing that helps me out is that my father and I have our own rv refrigeration business. And this time of year is a slower time for us. So needless to say I put a ton of hours in just to get that one deer. I wish I could find another place but it seems like most of the timber around here has someone in it.

Until then I will keep looking for somewhere else to hunt. Sorry for long post, but my chest feels alittle better.

Good luck to the small timber hunters and everyone else too!

Quick Reply: small hunting areas

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.